Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I've already submitted a question, but still haven't got an

Customer Question

I've already submitted a question, but still haven't got an answer. Searching through other questions for an answer.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 12 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** can try and help you today. What was your original question and has it just not been answered yet? what was the issue with your previous question? I'll do whatever I can to help you today, Thanks!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a 2012 Durastar with the Maxxforce DT engine, sounds like it is only running on a couple cylinders. I get a code SPN 2798 FMI 4. I can't find any info on this and don't have the Servicemaxx software.
Okay thank you for the timely response. I don't have the Servicemaxx software but I'm the only technician online at the moment so I can do everything I can in the meanwhile. What specific engine is in your unit? When did it start and was there any other symptoms before or after it began? What are all the temp gauges at and did it vary during or after it began? All fluid levels look good? The more information you can give me the better so I know exactly where your at with it. I'll try and see if I can get any information on this code in the meanwhile. Thanks,
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, my name is***** found somewhere that it may mean Injector Control Group 2 close coil short, but I'm not positive that is correct. If it is, then I need to find out what to test for. Kinda blind without any wiring diagrams.
Hi Bob, I will see if can confirm that. In the meanwhile can you answer my questions there so I know where your at with the troubleshooting? I think we can walk through a bunch of things first to see if we can narrow down the issue.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's fine, I'll answer whatever I can.
How are all the temperatures and fluid levels on the unit? what engine lights are illuminated on the dash? Thanks!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Fluids are fine, not sure about temp because I didn't want to run it too long. There is the yellow triangle warning light that is on, but no red engine stop light. No smoke from the engine, just sounds like it's not running on all cylinders.
Okay Amber is much better than Red lights that is for sure. It sounds like the unit is derated and usually when that happens I always try and eliminate the Emissions system. First thing I would recommend if you haven't already would be to disconnect the batteries for ten minutes and then re-install to reset the ECM. Once you do that I would try and do a park regen on the unit to see if it will regen. I'm just wondering whether the unit just needs a good regen because its emissions related.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, let me try that and see what happens. That code just throws me off though, that's an active code too.
Okay great keep me posted and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, that still hasn't resolved the problem. Was not able to do a regen because the engine won't build RPM enough.
Hi Sir, Okay well I did some research on the code your getting and I think your right about it being an injector fault. Without the software its almost impossible to narrow down which injector it could be. Are you able to have a Navistar Dealer retrieve the codes for you? If you can do the work it would be great but if you don't have the software and its an injector it would be worth it just to get the scan and go from there.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I have the code as stated earlier, I just can't find any information on it or what to check. The dealer won't give out any information unless they have the truck, which is why I was searching for an answer here.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 12 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Bare with me while I pull up your code information
2798 4 INJ Injector Control Group 2 close coil short
Check the harness and under valve cover connectors for damaged wiring or connector pins to the injector coils and if ok possible shorted injector coil. Let me know
This is for injectors 4,5,62798 4 Injector Control Group 2 close coil short• Closed coil short circuit on Injectors 4, 5 or 6
Commonly the problem is at the connector going through the valve cover or under the valve cover.
Injector 6 &ndash; Resistance Through Valve Cover Check WARNING: To prevent personal injury or death, shut engine down before doing voltage checks for injector solenoids. When the engine is running, injector circuits have high voltage and amperage.CAUTION: To prevent engine damage, turn the ignition switch OFF before disconnecting connectors. Failure to turn the ignition switch OFF will cause a voltage spike and damage to electrical components.Turn ignition switch to OFF. Connect Breakout Harness 4952 to the valve cover connector. Use DMMto measure resistance.Test Point Spec Comment &ndash; < Less than, > Greater than5 to GND > 1 k6 to GND > 1 k7 to GND > 1 k8 to GND > 1 kIf < 1 k, check circuit for short to GND or injector coil for internal short.Injector 6 &ndash; Coil Resistance CheckTurn ignition switch to OFF. Connect Breakout Harness 4952 to the valve cover connector. Use DMMto measure resistance.Test Point Spec Comment &ndash; < Less than, > Greater than5 to 6 0.5 to 1.5  If > 1.5, check for OPEN circuit or OPEN injector coil.7 to 8 0.5 to 1.5  If > 1.5, check for OPEN circuit or OPEN injector coil.5 to 7 > 1 k If < 1 k, check for cross shorted circuits or injector coil for internal short.EGES-455Read all safety instructions in the "Safety Information" section of this Manual before doing any procedures.Follow all warnings, cautions, and notes. Injector 6 &ndash; Harness Resistance CheckTurn ignition switch to OFF. Connect 180-Pin Breakout Box and injector circuit breakout to engine harness.Leave ECM and UVC disconnected. Use DMM to measure resistance.Test Point Spec Comment &ndash; < Less than, > Greater thanD-27 to 7 < 5  If > 5 , check for OPEN circuit.D-27 to GND > 1 k If < 1 k, check for short to GND.D-28 to 8 < 5  If > 5 , check for OPEN circuit.D-28 to GND > 1 k If < 1 k, check for short to GND.D-33 to 6 < 5  If > 5 , check for OPEN circuit.D-33 to GND > 1 k If < 1 k, check for short to GND.D-34 to 5 < 5  If > 5 , check for OPEN circuit.D-34 to GND > 1 k If < 1 k, check for short to GND.
the same applies for 4 and 5. Let me know