Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

No signal units. have 2 2005 int. 9200 model day cabs

Customer Question

no signal for gps units. have 2 2005 int. 9200 model day cabs , have 2 with cat engines,
they work fine
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! What are you working on that you are not getting GPS signals? What signals are you not getting? What systems do you have installed?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you put any gps inside the cab, no satalite signal. Walk 10 feet from the truck you get full bars. There is no aftermarket add on in truck, we have 4 of the same units, the one s with the Cummings engine will not work
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Are you trying to install a GPS for like logging such as a Peoplenet system or is this a GPS like a handheld, plug in the cigar lighter style of unit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes hand held, or dash mount, window mount
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I misunderstood. I thought it was the logging systems. So on the same exact truck body with the CAT engines they work, but with the Cummins they don't? It's like that with all the Cummins engines? Can I get a VIN on one of the ones woth the Cummins engines so I can look on International and see if anything is installed on the truck that would cause the interference? I want to check that and rule out the truck side and get a GPS tech involved for the handheld/dash mount units.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I've left the shop for the day, I will send you the info first thing in the am
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I just did a general lookup for all trucks overall for that year and that model. There is nothing showing from Intenrational of anything they did standard on them. Do you have a logging device that is using radio waves in the truck? I ask that because that will be the only thing on the truck side that would be causing interference. Otherwise, I will get the mobile GPS guys on this question because I am a tech with skills more for the on-board communication GPS units.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vin# *****
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I don't see anything on the truck that would cause interference. Let me get the GPS guys involved for that style of device.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you may be having with your GPS device(s). To try to help you with this issue, can you tell me the Make(s) & Model Number(s) of the GPS devices that you are trying to use in these vehicles? Can you also tell me if each of these devices (or perhaps just one) has a "Satellite Signal" screen that can be seen, and if so, what happens to the signal levels if the device is held JUST OUTSIDE an open window?If you can try this experiment with the engine running AND when ALL SYSTEMS have been turned off for a while, that would be great. Thanks(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)