Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.

3412E running at normal temperature however the other day found the plastic coolant reserv

Customer Question

3412E running at normal temperature however the other day found the plastic coolant reservoir full and coolant spilled. Coolant tank looks like it was over pressured (swollen and hairline cracks). Observing since, I found that the coolant level in the tank does not expand and contract as the engine warms up - leading me to think the radior cap is defective. I decided to by a new tank and new radiator cap. Wondering if somehow got air in the coolant and how to Burp the system. Wondering if trapped air may be acting as expansion space instead of overflowing to the coolant reservoir.
This is a marine engine. Maybe I got a mementary overheat conditon that did not alarm. I have used the engine since but only at slow speed because of an unrelated issue. But as previously mentioned there is no movement in the coolant level and the coolant temp is a solid 180F bearing in mind I have not opened up to high revs since the problem started. IN fact I am quite sure the problem occurred at slow RPM
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
I agree. It sounds like a faulty radiator cap.
Actually there is no need to burp or try and get air out. The cooling system will self purge any air after the thermostat opens.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.