Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

1998 ford 9513lt with a cat 3406 individual gauges speedo goes

Customer Question

1998 ford 9513lt with a cat 3406 individual gauges speedo goes to 25 and stops have computer hooked up and reads correct speed changed speedo head still goes to 25 and stops tone ring tight and settings on speedo are set correct also changed speed sensor
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Anything else I can tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Usually when the speedo goes to only a certain speed and stops, the speed sensor is acting up or the speedometer is bad based on my experience with this issue. I've not ever found it to be a wiring issue. Since you did the speed sensor and made sure everything is good and tight, I would now send the speedometer to a speedometer shop or have International test it while being ready to replace it.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I hooked a diagnostic tool up to it and the computer shows that i am going 55 miles and the gauge in the truck only shows 25. I tried a different speedometer and a different speed sensor with that being said being my computer is reading the correct miles per hour the sensor and tooth ring have to be work because my computer is reading those valves of the sensor right? i replaced it with a used speedometer which i find it hard to believe that both speedometers would do the same thing. any suggestions with that being said.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.
Do you have the International software that can send the signal to the speedometer module and test that way? I suggest going that route for if you are getting the reading like you stated you are showing, you might have a rare issue with the module itself. I've had that happen maybe twice in my whole career and they are expensive, like $2 grand expensive... For it to go to 25 only and stop, then that is the only other thing it can be. If it was wiring, you would be bouncing or not working at all. You wouldn't just go to 25 and stop. You don't have bouncing aka showing speed and sudden drops and back to speed plus you are showing a speed. So that already ruled out the wiring. You just stated the computer shows your speed so you pretty much just took the whoe equation from the PCM to the speed sensor out of the equation. All that can leave is the speedometer and the module and the speedometer was just taken out. So that leaves the module, the PCM. It is what sends the signal to the ICU module and the ICU module is built into the cluster on these vehciles so that can;'t be the blame. All you have left is the PCM which is rare. I would have Freightliner Service Link attached or Ford IDS attached and have the PCM tested. Ford will be cheaper and the better option for this vehicle even though Freightliner bought them out. I have no idea why I said to have International test it, I meant Freightliner... fyi
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.Did you still need assistance with this?