Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

2009 f 650 with cummis engine truck keeps stalling looses power

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Wiring harness shorted out found main power wire had shortet out computor is ok it starts fine runs ok but when you start driving it boogs out and comes and goes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Did you replace the harness or just repair it? Did you scan the truck engine for codes to see what codes you have? Which engine do you have?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changed the harness on the pass side new power wire and grd scaned it and all was clear not sure of engine. Now it seems that harness on driver side is malfunctioning start driving truck shakes and stalls and is hard to start wait 5 min and it starts up but engine light comes on and off
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
If you are getting the engine light on and off, you should have a code. Are you using Cummins Insite to pull the code? It will tell you if there is a fault in the ECM. If you can get it started again, grab the harness on the driver side and start wiggling it. If the truck stalls while shaking it, then that side needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, then use Cummins Insite to check for stored memory codes to see if the ECM is causing issues from it being shorted from the passenger harness. I've had several go bad after a harness short before.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome. Let me know how you do with this. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you heard of this problem with any other f650
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
This issue happens on more than just the F650... it is common with Cummins engines that are in the salty winter road areas. The salt gets onto the wiring and slowly decays it causing shorts over a period of time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again have a good night
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
You have a good night as well.