Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Freightliner Sprinter: I have a 2008 Sprinter with the 3.0

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Sprinter with the 3.0 diesel engine. I need to replace the glow plugs. I have the airbox and engine covers off. How do I get the electrical connections off the glow plugs without breaking the plastic connectors. Then, once I run the engine for a while to heat it up, can I just use a deep socket to remove the plugs themselves
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, Oh. What I thought to be the glow plugs is the fuel return system. The glow plugs appear to be more central (in the valley) and look to be difficult to remove without removing a bunch of other stuff such as the glow plug controller etc. Yuk
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

See Utube video above link. The connection n the glow plug will pull straight up, and it should take a 7/16 deep socket to remove the glow plugs. Best to do it when engine is cold!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know if I need to take off any other things. The plugs themselves seem hard to get to at a good angle. Don't want to break them off

I have not had them out of a sprinter. Do you watch the video? Looks like nothing else needs to come off. Just need the socket and extension!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The video is for the 5 cylinder 2.7 engine. I have the 3.0 V6

Do you see the glow plug harness? if you can get to the harness to pull off the connector, you can get to the glow plugs with a socket. I don't find any videos on the 3.0 engine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't either. But it seems that I need to remove the EGR and some other things to get at the plugs on the left bank. The right bank looks fairly straightforward

It's never as easy as it's made out to be. If the parts don't allow access, they will have to be removed and slipped back.

please accept to close the question.