Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2003 freightliner Columbia yesterday cab and sleeper blower

Customer Question

2003 freightliner Columbia yesterday cab and sleeper blower motors working fine also high beam lights working , this morning blower motors not working and no high beam lights
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: where should I start to check problems, first thing I was thinking was key switch since it needs to be on for high beams and blower motors to work
JA: Anything else I can tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** be glad to help. Do all other cab accessories work? What codes do you have logged in the dash display and do you need the information on how to access them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes other accessories work fine
Sam cab fault codes?
Usually HVAC and headlight circuits will throw a fault code in the dash for the problem circuit and type of failure to help isolate where to start testing and troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do I check to see if there are any codes
Click on this link and see the PDF page 17 for the instructions to access the codes.Drivers manual
Link wont post.... Copy and paste this one in your browser.http://www.selectruckhouston.com/pdf/New_Folder3/columbia-driver's-manual.pdf
You press and hold the mode button to scroll through.... Hold to get to next menu and press to scroll through that menu. The info will display in the odometer screen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Only gives me a 404 error will mot onpen your link
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This truck does not have that mode button you speak of
Ok. Well since you have an 03 you might not have it..... Newer models have it in the smart wheel and on the dash to access diagnostics through the dash
Ill get some schematics for you to help.
Click on this link to access the sleeper HVAC info.Schematics
AlsoDiagram
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok i got those
PDM Click the links above. These diagrams should help testing your circuit. Test all your fuses for power on both sides using a test light probing the top metal tabs of the fuse. There should be power on both sides with the key on. Any fuse with power only on one side is bad. Check your relays by swapping one at a time with a known good one..... Inspect the harness and connector pins for damage or corrosion.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok will advise after this is done
Sounds good. Pleasure to help.
Start at the PDM ( Power distribution module/ fuse panel) there are two... one in the b pillar and the main one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still no luck fuses and breakers good
In both locations
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still no luck fuses and breakers good
In both locations
We need to try to get body controller codes.When the parking brake is applied, pressing themode/reset button will scroll through the followingscreens:i.Trip distanceii.Trip hoursiii.Outside temperatureiv.Select screenv.Temperature alert screenvi.Diagnostic screenvii.Clear screen (with less than 254 miles)viii.Engine milesix.Engine hoursx.Set up screenxi.Back to odometer
Mode/Reset ButtonFunctionsThe mode/reset button (seeFig. 4.6) is located onthe right side of the instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This truck doesnt have that dash in it
Have you tested power at the PDM for the HVAC and tested the relays? Is there power at the blower motor connector? How far did you get with testing and tracing out the schematic? Let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tested all hvac relays fuses
No power at blower? What does the high beam switch and blower motors have in common
Since neither cab nor sleeper blowers are working nor the highbeams
Key switch problem??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Something is failing to tell those acc to power up
the PDM is the common link. Test the pins at the PDM in the link I supplied for power and ground for those circuit locations. Check for corrosion at the terminals and damaged connections. Possible faulty PDM
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, i will
Wont be for awhile before i can
thats ok, We can post back and forth as needed.... Keep me posted...