Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I want to know how to replace the steering gear box from a

Customer Question

i want to know how to replace the steering gear box from a 2005 freightliner
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: how to repare the whole power steering kit of a 2005 freightliner? and how to remove the steering gear from the freightliner?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What chassis model Freightliner are you working on? For some reason it did not post? There are a lot of models to choose from.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2005 freightliner classic Vin# *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if you have a photo of instructions showing me how to replace and install the kit i would appreciate it if you send it to me
Let me see what I have for this model. Normally I do not confer the manual on these but I have done so many different makes and models. I doubt you will find much for pictures on the procedure but I will see what I can do.They all are pretty much the same. Unbolt the yoke at the steering shaft to the box, remove the bolt and then pry the yoke to slide off the splined shaft. Sometimes you can drive a punch to spread the yoke in the split for easier removal. It is easier with the wheels off the ground so jack the front axles with a couple 20 ton jacks. Remove and disconnect the drag link to the steering box pitman arm. Remove the cotter pin, loosen the nut to make it flush with the drag link end and drive it loose with a large sledge hammer careful to protect the threads for reassembly. disconnect the hoses with a drip pan below to catch the oil, Remove the mounting bolts through the frame and have someone help support and remove the steering box or use a suitable hoist and lifting strap to save your back. Let me know if you still have questions
Click here for a video for the first part. Steering shaft removalhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1M99uuHNk
Adjustment will not be necessary on a new box..... This video shows the drag link connection to the pitman arm.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DysQgR1tpBs&nohtml5=False
Further FYI for the operationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ar1VxE4JU&ebc=ANyPxKqAlS-WuwRl3cXHs3Zv4IqQhujvmATHxB6rDSeXXmGq2wor_mfomKYZ69SOAmQqMahQKVY0QEJkNX-WOaH3xPmbQ08htg&nohtml5=False
The rest is pretty straight forward as I mentioned
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i need change all the seals not just the shaft seal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i need to know how to replace the bottom part of the shaft seal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the video that you send me is not the model that i am looking for
Hector, You asked how to remove and replace the steering box assembly. not how to change seals. that is the answer I gave you. If you wanted to know how to rebuild your steering box you will need to provide the information of what steering box you have.
do you have the tag information from your existing steering box?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
steering box is a TRW # *****
Thanks for the info. I was able to pull up a detailed service book for you. It covers multiple models so keep in mind it is the procedures and specs you will be following.Repair manual