cat_engines_only, Other
Experience:  Repair CAT machines only

My name is ***** *****, i have two cat d4h tsk and the transmission

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****, i have two cat d4h tsk and the transmission temp runs 210 f to 230 f .we have preformed all pressure checks oil and filters change nothing found in filter and screen added extra cooler oil cooler in front of one machine didn't help talked to cat service no help there. Read some info on LE oil 7530 it sound to good to be true, very expensive takes 40 to change one machine. Are there something we overlook in our test and what do you know about this oil.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when you are working the machines runs 230 the temp will stay there ,let the machines set at less than 1/4 throttle it will very slowly cool down to 180 f start working them again they heat back up same issue on both machines .check cooler flow something funny cooler is bottom of tank on radiator it stays at 180f all the time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
230 F is not a high temperature for transmission! Why do you think they are overheating? Transmission is not getting hot until it exceeds 260 F!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I never let get over 230f, machines are parked and let cool, it would keep building if let operate. I have several rubber tire skidders they will build heat on a hard drag but heading back to get another turn they will cool or set in landing for a minute at full throttle they will cool, also when they heat so dose water temp but these machine never get above 210f trans 200f on water the d4s will not cool in any situation except what I describe in first post. also water temp stays 180f.Before you respond a cooler issue its all been checked, flow been checked, radiator checked good clean inside no scale build over flooding of torque housing.
Do you get any warning buzzer or any indication from the unit that it is overheating? And have you tried to get them above the 230 F. For hydraulic oil or transmission fluid, 230 is a safe operating temperature. What has your Cat dealer advised?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've had to 250f and stopped never let buzzer sound or light flash, they do work, cat dealer told me they have not had one thru their shop in 10 years copied me off parts in service manual on testing and adjusting already had service manual that covered this, was no help . I have a friend that has same machine swears his never runs over 190f he lives 250 miles away and haven't had a chance to go operate it. I ran a lot of heavy equipment in younger years when I worked road construction, coal mined. In that equipment if trans temp raised so did water temp, most was cat. There is a site with d4h with same problem they fixed it with LE Lubricants 7530. I can't tell you where to go to find site but if you punch in; cat d4h trans overheating; you can find it, its a company that repairs irrigation canals in calf.
My experience is on older models, and rubber tired loaders and was a field engineer for the old Clark equipment. I don't see changing to another oil will help anything. I really don't see you having a problem, but I will opt out, and maybe one of the younger guys will now be on line or will see the question and reply. Good luck with it. sorry I didn't help.
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 6 months ago.
Hello, could you please post the serial numbers of the tractors in question?I agree with Curtis, the temp is not too high. However, if you know these machines did not operate like this before then it is an issue.Also, oil salesman have promised the world here too and only cause more trouble than they are worth. (Just a personal note.)Are you sure it is not overloaded? New operators or new job site? Different loading practices or material?Now assuming the machine is at fault and you are stating the oil does not cool down in neutral, I would suspect a torque convertor problem.Have you tested pressures to the convertor? Have you checked the stall speed of the convertor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there are two machine here they both have same issue serial #7pk00231 #7pk00051 I've owned one machine 10 years the other I bought 2 months ago condition is nothing different than I has been in past . on 7pk00051 temp ran 190f for eight years until 6 bolts inside torque converter came loose that holds stator had it repaired tractor was more responsive after that but temp raises 230f just skidding logs if you done any dirt work removing stumps building roads would raise more. ran all test in service manual check cooler ,lines, valves, removed torque converter had it rechecked still ran high to me if I wanted I'm sure keep working machine until warning light buzzer went off but that means hot oil and break down of oil like I said it takes 40 gal US to change .found other machine was going to sell old, new has same issue. I said in other post that you had you have set the throttle a little less than 1/4 throttle and let set for a while to cool down, that time is 30 to 45 min. depending on air temp outside .7pk00231 machine has lot more power and very responsive but temp runs just like 7pk00051 also if you park either machine in neutral run engine at high idle temp will not lower sometimes it raise 10 degrees
Assuming torque converter inlet and outlet pressures are correct, your problem could be cooling oil flow. Have you checked the cooler bypass valve? (Or replaced it?) Since the machine is not cooling down correctly, I would focus more on this side. (Pump pressures and cooling flow.)Also, have you checked for other loading issues? Is the brake system working correctly? Is the parking brake release pressure correct? Do the final drives get very hot?Do you have the results of recent pressure testing?Will you post them here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't recall anywhere finding a cooler bypass valve are you sure these machines have that? I don't want to be looking for a ghost. The pressure checks we preformed were all within the spec. of manual we did not write them down just performed check moved on to next pressure check. Flow thru cooler was also to spec. I do remember this 27gal. pre minute thought this was a lot of flow thru cooler, would it have time to cool oil ? As for brakes not releasing, the machines are not laboring.
You are correct, it does not have a bypass valve. I had the hydraulic system in mind of a D7H I had problems with a few years ago. I have not had this trouble on D4H machines and others where usually related to torque convertor wear. This machine did have a history of torque converter failures for machines before #00251.A reinforcing plate was added to the cover of the impeller to prevent cracking and leaking leading to overheating and drive gear failure. I assume your machines have already seen this update.Since I cannot provide and answer, I will also OPT-OUT so others can see this question.