Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

2008 International 4300 with Maxxforce DT. 350k Miles, Eaton

Customer Question

2008 International 4300 with Maxxforce DT. 350k Miles, Eaton Transmission.
Getting SPN 1209 FMI 4
Also have gotten SPN 7129 FMI 1
Few weeks ago it started to feel as the VGT was sticking as in my 2004 international when I had it. The "Check Exhaust System" light that pops on and off and sometimes I lose power sometimes it comes back and "surges" with power. Also getting the "HOT EXHAUST" Light that comes on, as soon as the truck starts moving it turns off.
Key on and off seems to make the actuator move back and forth freely.
Last week, I was having white smoke out of the exhaust under 100% throttle, backed off and it didn't come back.
Also twice now, warm start the truck sounds like its "misfiring" not a smooth idle, loss of power.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also have previously active, 2000 FMI 9 2003 FMI 9, 2033 FMI 9
Also have:
SPN 3981 FMI 2 from what I read, this is the HVAC position motor, which makes sense because my HVAC doesn't switch zones.
SPN 8321 FMI 7
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Bare with me while i look up your active codes.EngineEBP signal out-of-range LOW (Flash Code 3341)SPN 12094
EngineEBP above desired level2352SPN 71290 InactiveEngineRetarder control valve unable to achievedesired EBP2357SPN 71297
Check your EBP sensor and harness . Possible faulty sensor or harness
Body ControllerSAE - Source Address 0 - Abnormal updaterateSPN 20009 Instrument ClusterLoss of data link from the TransmissionController - Abnormal update rate. FaultyTCM or drivetrain data link.SPN 20039 Instrument ClusterRelay Driver - Loss of data link from ESC.Abnormal update rate.SPN 20339
Body ControllerSAE - Cab HVAC Mode Control Actuator -Data erratic, intermittent or incorrectSPN 39812 EngineVariable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)performance fault2175SPN 83217
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** symptoms would you say that my VGT actuator is going bad? Would it work sometime and sometimes not?
Would you also maybe say that my DOC and DPF needs to be cleaned?
What about that irratic idle?
the VGT fault is likely due to excessive soot Carbon buildup. You may be ok with cleaning the VGT veins and after installation and calibration if the problem still exists then yes the actuator can cause this. Click here for the cleaning FYIVGT cleaning Before servicing the DPF correct the turbo VGT fault, Correct any exhaust leaks and do a parked regen and if it completes without faults for excessive soot then you should be ok. Another thing you need to resolve is the EBP fault. It is possible it may resolve with th VGT fix. Check for excessive carbon and soot in the EBP circuit and clean the sensor. Start there and let me know
Hi Robert, Did you get this resolved?