Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

1999 Kenworth T800 Cab roof lights have a direct short(instantly

Customer Question

1999 Kenworth T800 Cab roof lights have a direct short(instantly blows circuit breaker) It is a ground switch with only one terminal. is the circuit form power to circuit breaker to lights to switch?? Where are common locations for a direct short?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Hi Bernie, My name is***** will be glad to help Most commonly it would either be one of the bulbs or light assemblies shorting to ground. Unscrew them from the roof and insect the harness. Try unplugging them one at a time to see if one light disconnected doesnt trip the breaker. If so, replace that light. If the breaker trips with the lights disconnected it means the short ir before the lights in the circuit. Trace back to the harness and switches also check your relays and connections as well. Let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All bulbs out and it still trips the breaker instantly. The light sockets look real clean and not corroded. If it trips with no bulbs in then the short must be between the circuit breaker and the first light correct??
Thanks for the update. That is not necessarily the case if the housing itself is shorted to ground. You can test by removing power and then testing OHM from power to ground for each light
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All lights sockets are grounding out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will take out the inside panel in the morning to follow wiring from the lights down.
That was going to be my next suggestion. Let me know the results.
Hi Bernie, Did you get this resolved?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still can not find the short. Still trips circuit breaker instantly. I have quit trying on the truck for now. Looked for hours now.
thanks for the update. Let me know when you get back to it and please remember to rate once we are done as that is how the experts get credit for their time helping on the site.