Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I am assisting bus and truck shop on aGSA owend 2010 Blue Bird

Customer Question

I am assisting bus and truck shop on aGSA owend 2010 Blue Bird Bus with Cummins engine, have rebuilt Leece Neville 320 amp Alt twice within two days both times after installation it gets hot and has very little output, all components in unit replaced , rectifiers, rotor, stator, oem parts, this a pad mount unit externally regulated can be full fielded at F1 terminal by passing reg, all three new batteries fully charged.cables test good, test readings show negatve -180 amps, 12 to 15 volts while full fielding at high engine rpm, any suggestions or insights alt PN A0014966PAA
Regards Steve
independent rebuilder
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steve, My name is***** will try to help. If the alternator tests out good on the test bench but has a problem when installed on the bus, it sounds like either they are not hooking the wiring up to the bus correctly, there is another electrical short or problem with the bus ignition and charging system. Click on this link and run through the testing in the manual to confirm the alternator again passes and if so, it is time to double check the hook ups on the bus and for a problem in the bus.Testing and troubleshooting
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I revisited the Bus repair shop this past week for the third time and had the tech connect existing battery positive cables together but not to the alternator output stud and same procedure with grounding cables. We installed the Alternator and connected its output and grounding cables to battery outside and isolated it from the Bus electrical system, the alternator performed as designed full fielding induced a 193 amp output to one battery that was already fully charged. The tech reconnectd the existing cables and the alternator would load down and the bus amp gage would register a 180 amp negative. The tech and I came to the same conclusion that either there is a power distribution center issue and or cabling needs to be replaced or repaired. The tech told me he would contact me when fault was found Im still standing by to hear from him on repair and results.
Thanks for the update Steve. Pleasure to help you with this. In reality, they should make things right with you on your time and parts for the redo that was not of your fault but the fault of the incomplete diagnosis. But also understand depending on the customer, we tend to let some things slide sometimes. Either way I am glad to hear the problem was isolated to a short in the bus. Please remember to rate as that is how the experts get credit for their time on the site.