Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.

ACTERRA: I have a 2004 Sterling with a Diesel Mercedes Eng.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Sterling with a Diesel Mercedes Eng. with 38,000 miles. Rating is 230HP @ 2300 RPM Serial #(###) ###-####
Yesterday driving down the interstate and truck lost power with top of 40MPH and white smoke smelling like unburnt diesel. Now truck will not start but will turn over. No blow by.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. One of the more common issues I have seen with the diesel engines with the smoke that smells like diesel like this here as well as the loss of power is one or more of the fuel injectors at fault allowing to much fuel into the cylinders.This lowers fuel rail pressure to where the rest of the injectors are unable to operate properly causing the power loss and the over fueling injector causes the smoke as well as the smell of diesel fuel out of the exhaust.I would have the fuel injectors tested to see if one or more are found to be at fault and if one or more are found at fault the affected injectors will need replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete