Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

How much horsepower is available at 8V71 (318 HP) drive outlet

Customer Question

How much horsepower is available at 8V71 (318 HP) drive outlet at back of engine above flywheel?
I want to run a 45 GPM hydraulic pump/2500 psi. What is rpm of drive compared to engine? This pump at full capacity (rarely that much) will use about 75 HP.
Other than a belt drive off front of engine; any other ideas for running this pump off engine (do not want to run behind or off transmission if can avoid).
Thank you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.
I don't have the engineering specs for the pump drive off the camshafts, but the camshaft turns same rpm as the crankshaft. So full rpm would be 2300 rpm. Detroit makes pump drives that will bolt to the camshaft gear , and are 1/2 steel plates with internal teeth. Same drive as used on air compressor. Just not sure what the maximum horsepower you can pull off the camshaft. Stewart & Stevenson , Detroit Distributor, in Houston, Dallas , or Denver would know.
Did you find what you needed?