Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Kenworth prime mover will not start. How do you bleed it. It

Customer Question

Kenworth prime mover will not start. How do you bleed it. It is on hill. The fuel drained back. Detroit diesel.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jackie my name is***** will be glad to help. What year truck and what model Detroit? series 60? DD15? etc?
Some Detroit engines had a mechanical shutdown at the injector pump that has to be re-set. It's a lever type that has to be locked open....it causes the injector pump to shut down if the engine over revs or has a fuel problem. After you check the mechanical pump shutdown you need to crack the fuel lines at the pump and crank the engine, then once all ports have fuel, you crack the lines at the injectors and do the same, after that it should start. Be sure the fuel level is above the pickup tube or top with fuel. Let me know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Daniel. The truck is in a paddock kms from help. It is 2005. We are not familiar with the motor. It is on a hill so probably drained its fuel. Do you have a diagram that can identify the areas that you referred to. The truck belongs to my partner who is good with heavy machines (dozers etc) but this is his first prime mover. Thanks. Jackie
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was urgent to get it going but no luck. Cannot get back to it until next weekend but any diagrams to identify the parts would help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a model KIO499A prime mover if that helps. No luck getting it going, ran out of daylight.
Thanks for the information. Click this link for the series 60 fuel system diagram.https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/12-60-04a.pdf
Click this link and see PDF page 33 for the fuel system priming procedure.http://www.ddcsn.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/DDC-SVC-MAN-0006.pdf
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Daniel, I am not ready to rate you as yet but I must thank you for the information so far. My partner is away on a job for the week so he cannot get back to the truck until the weekend. I do not yet know if the answer is helpful. Thank you. Cheers. Jackie
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Pleasure to help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Daniel, we went back to the truck today but no success. We tried to prime it and the fuel only went so far. It is a Detroit Series 60 I850. Does that mean anything to you? Unfortunately we only have a certain amount of time to work on it as we are on job where the truck has broken down. It is looking more like getting a town truck out from town to the property if we cannot get it going tomorrow.
if there are no restrictions or leaks between the tank and pump then it is likely you have a faulty transfer pump and is not picking up the fuel if you have topped off the tanks. Is the check engine light coming on? Is there smoke from the stacks while cranking indicating it is getting fuel? If the check engine light is on then there will be fault codes logged... also be sure the coolant level is full as the engine will shut down for low coolant. TRS and SRS sensors will also cause a crank/no start from a loss of speed signal but that would only be if it wasnt loosing prime like you mentioned.
Make sure the check engine light comes on and cycles with the key on and if not check between the battery box and ECM for an inline ECM fuse blown.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Daniel. Thank you for the offer of a phone discussion and for the online help. Unfortunately the phone service would not be reliable enough where the truck is. We were not able to resolve the issue and my partner's work time frame forced us to get someone to come out to the truck to at least get it going so that we could get it home which we have done. My partner is working away all week and the weekends was the only time we had to try to get the truck back on the road. Thank you for your time. Cheers. Jackie