Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey,
Experience:  Diesel Technician at Cummins Pacific
89779026

Have a 2008 international 4300 max force motor that cranks

Customer Question

have a 2008 international 4300 for a max force motor that cranks but will not start. it had a problem with regening and the dpf was clogged but we had it baked and cleaned. The truck ran great for about 15 miles than just shut down and would not start only cranks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: has fuel and tries to start if you us starting fluid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jackie Dempsey replied 12 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I will gladly assist you with your question today. Can you please tell me if there are any fault codes active at this time?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
only code I could retrieve was a code 57

Thank you for that information, can you please tell me what type of scanner you have? Are you using ServiceMaxx?

Also is there any smoke during cranking?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried thus far?

Just want to ensure we are on the same page to best assist you ;)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
otc scanner generic. truck was driving fine after pdf was cleaned. then it had a big puff of black smoke and stop running. would not start with starting fluid but was trying. I replace cam/crank senser and still wont start. it sounds like a icp senser. does not smoke when trting to start.

Awesome information thank you, ***** ***** with the ICP sensor as that is quite common on these guys. Also (if it is not bypassed) I would check the EGR as well, when the aftertreatment plugs up the egr valve tends to be stuck or pretty sooty, a simple cleaning of the valve may be all that is needed, despite that not being the current cause of the issue at hand. Also you mentioned that the DPF was cleaned and baked but what about the catalyst? Did they also verify that the rest of the aftertreatment system was alright? When the DPF plugs to that extent the cat is often face plugged as well. Which can definitely effect drive ability. You may need the Maxforce system to be able to properly t/s the issue but honestly with what you mentioned I have been thru quite a few icps as the result. However, with any no start condition I always begin with verifying fuel pressure and move on accordingly. I honestly have not physically worked on one of these guys for awhile as I have been a Cummins mechanic for the past few years but this should aid you in your diagnosis:

At the top rear of the engine on the left side of the valve cover , you will find four connectors that go into the valve cover pass through gasket to the injectors and the injection control pressure sensor inside. If you count from the front of the engine , disconnect the 3rd connector and try to start engine. This will disconnect your ICP sensor, the ECM will not see a signal from ICP sensor and go to default values. If it starts and runs with throttle response , your problem is the ICP sensor and it would need to be replaced

I hope I have been able to shed some light on your current issue! I know there may be additional steps to solving this, however please check out the icp and let me know the results, if you need additional assistance just respond in this window and I will be glad to assist ;) Also please take a moment to rate my service today. Thank you!

Hello! I just wanted to touch base and see if you had any updates or further questions in regards ***** ***** situation? I hope that I have been able to provide assistance on this matter, please take a moment to rate my service! But if you need further help I am here. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
still looking at it. thans

Ok great, let me know if I can help

Expert:  Jackie Dempsey replied 11 months ago.

Hello! I just thought I would check back to see if this issue has been resolved or if I can be of further assistance. No rating has been received at this time so I was curious if perhaps more troubleshooting was required. If I can help please let me know. Thank you!