Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I'm trying to start an old Gradall, Detroit Diesel engine.

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to start an old Gradall, Detroit Diesel engine. Has been sitting for 8 years. It cranks and will fire when using starting fluid. But shuts off when stop using fluid. I changed fuel, changed fuel filter. New batteries. Cracked the injectors and the fuel pump works.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 months ago.

This the 4-71 , with knobs on the rocker cover? Do you have fuel coming out of the return line on the cylinder head?

Have you removed the rocker cover and checked the injector fuel rack? It needs to be loose enough that it will move in toward the injector body and spring loaded to move back, If rack does not move, injectors are stuck!

Would you have a manual pump you could hook to the secondary fule filter, the one past the fuel pump, and pump fuel into the filter and out the return line?

My response shows as customer again!

The injector rack needs to be all the way toward the injector bodys to start, but has to be free for the governor to bring engine back to idle. Or it will run away.

Also consider this engine has an emergency stop and is a flap in the air inlet housing, before the blower. If it has been tripped, engine gets no air. But it must be open, or it would not start on starting fluid.

Here is rack setting.