cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only, Other
Experience:  Repair CAT machines only
11546476

Licenced HD Tech. Im working on a Cat C7. Doing a front gear

Customer Question

Hi Im Jeff, licenced HD Tech. Im working on a Cat C7. Doing a front gear cover reseal, its looking like I have to remove the whole camshaft to get the gear off? Is this correct?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The front timing gear cover gasket is leaking as well as the front crank seal so in order to get the rear part of the cover off I have to remove the camshaft gear and there is no surface on the gear or bolt holes for me to attatch a puller so just wondering if im correct that I have to remove the whole camshaft?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: No, that should be sufficient
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 1 year ago.

If this is only the front cover, then no you do not need to remove any gears. If the is the front housing, then yes, the gear will need removing.

Cam gears are pressed on to the shaft AFTER they are heated.

Removal Procedure

Start By:

1. Remove the camshaft. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Camshaft - Remove".
  2. Remove the unit injector hydraulic pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Unit Injector Hydraulic Pump - Remove".
  3. Remove the air compressor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Air Compressor - Remove and Install".

That is to remove the housing.

Housing (Front) - Remove

Removal Procedure

Start By: