][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

Engine shut off after pulliing into park and will not start,

Customer Question

engine shut off after pulliing into park and will not start
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: changed fuel filters changed cam sensor injection control sensor engine speed sensor batter is up changed engine oil and filter engine turns over fine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: the bus ran fine on the trip to pick up people the trip took about 1 hour to get to pick up area
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 12 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to try and support you today. First I would like to welcome you to Just Answer. Could you tell me a little bit more about the unit you are working on? What is the make and year of the bus and engine that you are working on.

One quick thing to check would be the ECM fuses, if one or both of them are popped then the unit will crank all day and not fire. Any other fault codes or symptoms that you have noticed?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
international DT466E 1998? school bus was running fine drove about an hour to pick up people when we stopped the engine shut off and has not started since fuel filters have been changed oil and filter also cam sensor injector controll sensor engine speed sensor battery is hot engine turns fine
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
im wondering about HP oil pump or ECM i would assume the ECM to be ok if it sends codes i'm being told it sent codes for the sensors is there a manual method of obtaining codes without plugging into a computer

No unfortunately there isn't a manual way to check the fault codes. Is there a red or amber engine light staying lit on the dash all the time?

Please check at the batteries if there are two blade fuses? If they are not located there you can check around the starter area. These two fuses feed the ECM power and if one or both have popped it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Check all fluids carefully, sometimes if the ECM is programmed a certain way it can cause the engine to not start if the coolant is too low, or it doesn't sense oil pressure.

Let me know what you find out of those two checks first. The HP pump is a possibility but could hopefully be something much more minor than that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is no light on the dash and all fuses are good
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 11 months ago.

Thank you Sir, I know you had mentioned fuel pump suspected. There should be a connector on the top of the fuel filter housing to test fuel pressure. Are you able to hook a gauge to that housing to check what fuel pressure you are getting? Second would be to remove your fuel return line and put it into a bucket, when cranking see how much is coming out.

I am unsure of what your abilities or tools are so please let me know if you are able or unable to do those checks. We can attack at a different angle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this will take a couple of days due to other work will let you know

No problem Sir, Please keep me posted! Thank you!