Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.

I have a 2009 Vermeer s600tx with 800 hrs on it. I bought it

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Vermeer s600tx with 800 hrs on it. I bought it with 676 hrs. When I purchased it, the 'O' rings on the side of both hydraulic pumps were leaking. I have been unable to get them to stop leaking. They have an adjustment screw that has two nuts so it will lock in place, but when I pulled the snap ring and pulled the piece out with the 'O' ring on, it was worn down, even though I just had them replaced to try to stop the leak. It appears that the snap ring is the only thing that holds that whole piece in place. When I noticed it was leaking again, I watched as I had someone else start the engine and engage the pumps. Once the was pressure in the pump, it pushe against that snap ring and started to leak. I just pulled it apart last night and it kind of seems like it was putting a lot of pressure on that snap ring. I had to get a mallet and a punch to tap that piece over so could even get the snap ring out. Is it somehow getting too much pressure in the pump, or is there a possibility that after removing the snap ring so many times in order to replace the 'O' rings, that the integrity of the snap ring has been compromised? Or am I just having a hard time finding the right 'O' ring? I don't have Vermeer dealer in town but I have taken it to a reputable tractor repair facility and still it leaks. Any ideas??
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I have seen hydraulic leaks like this here due to either the snap ring to loose giving to much flex or the piece with the o ring on it is worn allowing movement.I dont think a thicker or different o ring will correct this here since it is moving and then leaking as any other o ring will most likely leak.It may be to much pressure from the hydraulic pump as well but I suspect a worn shaft or component that is allowing movement causing this here.

I would have this checked into further if you can with a repair facility that can compare these components to locate any worn or damaged component needing replaced.

You might contact the nearest dealer to see if they can order in and ship you a new retainer clip and to see if they see any washers that go under the clip to help hold this in place if needed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete