roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

A 2012 freightliner with a cummins diesel in it. My driver

Customer Question

a 2012 freightliner with a cummins diesel in it. My driver filled the def tank and a couple hours later the check engine light came on and displayed poor def quality.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the truck went into limp mode.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Heavy Truck Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Heavy Truck Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Heavy Truck Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what is the code number??

what is the engine serial number???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Roy, my truck is broke down over 45 miles away. I am sorry I do not have that info.

I understand but in order to get the correct info for you I need that to get onto Insite for the info. let me know when you can get the info.

one thing you can try is to remove the vehicle speed sensor on the trans and you should be able to drive it. if the ecm does not see speed, it cannot limit it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
73346123

got the codes, give me a few to dig up whats going on

Roy

Roy

ok, 1761 no def, you already know this

please accept my answer as it costs me to access the web sites for factory information.

Roy

4364 low knock conversion

492.2  SPN 4364/FMI 18 - EPA10

Selective Catalyst Reduction NOx Conversion Low

SPN 4364/FMI 18

DescriptionThis Fault Code Sets When The Aftertreatment Control Module (ACM) Detects That The NOx Conversion Is Lower Than A Calibrated Threshold

Monitored ParameterSelective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Inlet NOx Sensor, SCR Outlet NOx Sensor

Typical Enabling ConditionsDiesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Dosing Enabled, 1000 to 1500 rpm, 15 to 100% load, SCR Inlet Temperature Sensor less than 650°C (1200°F), Ambient Temperature Greater Than 0°C (32°F), Coolant Temperature Greater Than 70°C (158°F), Non-regeneration Conditions Present

Monitor SequenceNone

Execution FrequencyContinuous When Enabling Conditions Met

Typical Duration30 Minutes

Dash LampsMIL

Engine ReactionDerate 25%

VerificationParked Regeneration

Check as follows:

Show/Hide Checkboxes

NOTE: SPN 3361/FMI 5 will set when the DEF dosing valve electrical connector is disconnected. The fault code can be cleared using DiagnosticLink after the DEF dosing valve electrical connector is reconnected.

ENGINE EXHAUST

To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.

HOT EXHAUST

During parked regeneration the exhaust gases will be extremely HOT and could cause a fire if directed at combustible materials. The vehicle must be parked outside.

PERSONAL INJURY

To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.

ENGINE EXHAUST

HOT EXHAUST

PERSONAL INJURY

1. Connect DiagnosticLink® .
  2. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
  3. Was another emission component-related fault code repaired prior to this step?
    1. Yes; perform a parked regeneration and recheck for the fault code. If the fault code returns, Go to step 4.
    2. No; Go to step 4.
  4. Check for other fault codes. Are there any air management system fault codes present for the Intake Throttle Valve (ITV), Intake Manifold Pressure (IMP), Intake Air Temperature (IAT), turbocharger, etc.?
    1. Yes; diagnose the other fault codes first.
    2. No; Go to step 5.
  5. Are there any Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system fault codes present?
    2. No; Go to step 6.
  6. Are there any other NOx sensor fault codes present?
    2. No; Go to step 7.
  7. Are there any fault codes for the DEF metering unit, DEF pump, or DEF air valve present?
    2. No; Go to step 8.
  8. Are there any ACM temperature or pressure fault codes present?
    1. Yes; diagnose the fault code first.
    2. No; Go to step 9.
  9. Turn the ignition OFF.
  10. Use DEF test strip A0005850202 to check for diesel fuel or oil contamination of the DEF fluid. Refer to section "Checking Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality" . Do the test strips or visual inspection indicate that the DEF is contaminated?
    1. Yes; for diesel fuel or oil contamination, refer to 13 TS-17 and refer to appropriate Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) literature for DEF tank cleaning/flushing procedures. Refill the DEF tank with new DEF. Verify repair.
    2. No; Go to step 11.
  11. Using a refractometer from the DEF Test Kit W060589001900, measure the DEF percentage. Refer to section "Checking Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality" . Is DEF percentage between 28% and 36%?
    1. Yes; Go to step 12.
    2. No; flush the DEF system. Refer to section "Flushing of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid System" . Verify repair.
  12. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
  13. Compare the DEF pressure sensor reading to the barometric pressure sensor reading. Are the readings within 4.3 psi of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 14.
    2. No; replace the DEF pressure sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Pressure Sensor" . Verify repair.
  14. Perform the DEF quantity service routine. Refer to section "Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quantity Test - EPA10" . Go to step 15.
  15. Monitor the amount of DEF dispensed into the DEF-safe container included in DEF test kit W060589001900. Is the amount of DEF dispensed between 102 and 138 mL?
    1. Yes; Go to step 16.
    2. No; flush the DEF metering unit. Verify repair.
  16. Disconnect the DEF dosing valve electrical connector.
  17. Start the engine.
  18. Run the EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD procedure to check the NOx sensors. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the NOx inlet sensor and the NOx outlet sensor readings within 50 Parts Per Million (PPM) of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 20.
    2. No; replace the outlet NOx sensor. Go to step 19.
  19. Run the EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD procedure to validate the NOx sensors are reading correctly. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the NOx inlet sensor and outlet NOx sensor readings within 50 Parts Per Million (PPM) of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 20.
    2. No; replace the inlet NOx sensor. Go to step 20.
  20. Reconnect the DEF dosing valve electrical connector.
  21. Start the engine and perform a parked regeneration while monitoring the NOx efficiency. Is the NOx efficiency above 70%?
    1. Yes; clear codes and release the vehicle.
    2. No; Go to step 22.
  22. Review the last 7 minutes of the parked regeneration log file; is the SCR inlet temperature more than 38°C (68.4°F) lower than SCR outlet temperature?
    1. Yes; Go to step 23.
    2. No, replace the ATD. For a One-box system, replace the DOC/SCR module. For a two-box system, replace the SCR module. Complete the ATD check list to identify cause of failure.Refer to section "ATD Checklist - EPA07/EPA10/GHG14" .
  23. Perform a low temperature Aftertreatment Device (ATD) check using DiagnosticLink to check for a drifted temperature sensor. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the SCR inlet and SCR outlet temperatures within 25°C (45°F) during the last five minutes of this test?
    1. Yes; replace the ATD. For a One-box system, replace the DOC/SCR module. This indicates an internal failure of the DOC/SCR module.
    2. No; replace the drifted SCR temperature sensor and verify repair

5246 is about the tank being filled

Check as follows:

Show/Hide Checkboxes

1. Connect DiagnosticLink® .Go to step 2.
  2. Check for other emission-related fault codes. Are there any Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) or Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) related fault codes present?
    1. Yes; diagnose and repair the emission related fault codes first. Verify repair.
    2. No; perform the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) efficiency test or high idle regeneration. Use DiagnosticLink to clear the code
  3. the 1569 is still related to the def being out of fuel.

how are you making out

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts it cost me for access to the web site to get the info for you

Ro

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts. I have to pay for access to the get your information.

Roy

Roy