roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

2002 Freightliner has eec 61 code and 3251 code

Customer Question

Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what engine and what are the last 6 of the vin???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Detroit eng last six of Von is AY7889

ok, got it. give me a couple to get the info

ok, it is a slow response time for the injectors. it sounds like you are going to need a 6 pack. I will paste off the freightliner web site. I appreciate if you accept as it costs me for access to this information. let me know if you other questions

Roy

Section 60.2
Troubleshooting Flash Code 61, SID 1/2/3/4/5/6/FMI 0

This diagnostic condition is typically:‪

• Bad injector harness and or connection (high resistance)
  • Poor vehicle grounds
  • Sticky solenoid valve

Note: The injector diagnostic SID indicates which cylinder number has an injector with a long response time. The injector number describes the cylinder and or bank which has the injector with a long response time. The diagnostic tool will display the injector text description.

Injector response times generally increase with low battery supply voltage and decrease with high battery supply voltage. Although injector response times vary from injector to injector at a given rpm, each individual injector response time should remain relatively consistent from one firing to the next. Wide variations in response time (typically ± 0.2 msec) for one injector at a steady engine rpm may indicate an electrical problem (faulty alternator or voltage regulator, poor or broken ground cables, etc.).‪

The following procedure will troubleshoot Flash Code 61.‪

Section 60.2.1
Test Alternator Ground

Perform the following steps to test alternator ground.‪

1. Disable the alternator by removing the alternator belt.
  2. Start and run the engine; warm to greater than 87°F (30°C).
  3. Does the code return?
    1. If Flash Code 61 does not return, repair or replace the alternator grounds and refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If the code(s) return, refer to "60.2.2 Determine Cylinders With Fault" .

Section 60.2.2
Determine Cylinders With Fault

The location of the injector logging the codes is listed in Table "Determine Cylinders With Fault" .‪

SID 1 ‪

SID 2 ‪

SID 3 ‪

SID 4 ‪

SID 5 ‪

SID 6 ‪

Firing Order‪

# *****‪

# *****‪

# *****‪

# *****‪

# *****‪

# *****‪

S60 Cylinder #‪

(block location)‪

1‪

5‪

3‪

6‪

2‪

4‪

Table 1. Determine Cylinders With Fault

To measure the resistance, perform the following:‪

1. Disconnect the engine Harness connector at the ECM/ECU for those injectors logging the codes.
  2. Establish a good ECM/ECU case ground by measuring the resistance across two points on the ECM/ECU. The resistance should measure less than or equal to 1 Ω.
  3. Once a good case ground is established, keep one of the measurement probes in place and move the other probe to one of the five exposed male injector terminals on the ECM/ECU.
  4. Measure the resistance. Repeat this procedure at each of the five terminals.
    1. If any terminals have a resistance of less than 1,000 Ω, replace the ECM/ECU. Refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If all terminals have a resistance of greater than 1,000 Ω, refer to "60.2.3 Check for Short" .

Section 60.2.3
Check for Short

Perform the following steps to check for a short.‪

1. Disconnect the injector harness 10 pin connector and locate the terminals associated with the codes. See Figure "Injector Harness with Jake Brake" .
  2. Measure resistance between that cavity and the cylinder block on both sides of the 10 pin connector.
    1. If measured resistance is less than 10 Ω, the wire is shorted to the engine. Repair or replace the harness and refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If measured resistance is greater than 10 Ω, go to step 3.
  3. Measure resistance between the 10 pin connector side and between the cavity logging the code and the return wire.
    1. If the measured resistance is less than 5 Ω, the wire is shorted to the return. Replace the harness between the 10 pin connector and the ECM/ECU. Refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If the measured resistance is greater than 5 Ω, go to step 4 .
  4. Remove the valve cover to gain access to the cylinder associated with the code.
  5. Remove the connector terminals at the injector solenoid(s).
  6. Measure resistance between that cavity and the appropriate return cavity (E-61 or E-62).

Figure 1. Injector Harness with Jake Brake

1. If measured resistance is less than 5 Ω, the wire is shorted to the return wire. Repair or replace the harness and refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If measured resistance is greater than 5 Ω, refer to "60.2.4 Check for Open" .

Section 60.2.4
Check for Open

Perform the following steps to check for an open.‪

1. Insert a jumper wire between the cavity associated with the code and the return for that connector (E-61 or E-62).
  2. Measure resistance across the injector connectors (disconnected from injector solenoid).
    1. If the measured resistance is greater than 5 Ω, the injector wire is open. Repair or replace the harness and refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If the measured resistance is less than 5 Ω, try a test ECM/ECU.Refer to "60.2.4.1 Verify Repairs" .
    3. If the measured resistance is less than 5 Ω, and the ECM/ECU was replaced, replace the injector.

Section 60.2.4.1
Verify Repairs

Perform the following steps to verify repairs:‪

1. Start and run the engine. Warm to 87°F (30°C).
  2. Check diagnostic tool for codes.
    1. If injector codes are logged, please review this section from the first step to find the problem. Refer to "60.2.2 Determine Cylinders With Fault" .
    2. If no codes are logged, no further troubleshooting is required.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts and it costs me personally to get the info you need

Roy

Roy