go-west.., Technician
Experience:  Technican with 20 years experience focused on engines and electrical.

2012 Freightliner Cascadia, when starting it clicks but

Customer Question

2012 Freightliner Cascadia, when starting it clicks but doesn't for as many times as it wants, I hear the click in the glove box but doesn't start. a a couple or a few times letter engine turns over and starts once the starter starts.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  go-west.. replied 7 months ago.

good evening

sounds like the starter is on its way out,if you have a test light go to the starter and see if there is power at the sw terminal at the starter when you go to crank.if there is starter sure you clean all the connections at the starter when its replaced,let me know if you have anymore questions

Expert:  Joseph Book replied 7 months ago.

Dusty, does this do it only after the engine is hot or does it do it whenever it feels like?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does this whenever it feels like it. hot, cold, medium. but once it cranks there is never going back it definitely starts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you a way to pull the part number for Starter?
Were you able to check the starter for power? At the start terminal? Let me know how you do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is the start terminal on the starter? do you have starter p/n by chance?

If you have a cummins engine it should be a 39mt, I apologize for the delay we have had some evacuation issues in South East Texas... To test to make sure the starter is getting power you have the small terminal on the top of the starter solenoid, have someone crank the engine and check to see if power is getting there.

yes check for power at the small wire connected at the starter thats the starter sw terminal