Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

Paccar engine have 5 faults

Customer Question

Paccar engine have 5 faults
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is the faults
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The only time I see those code together is when the EGR valve is bad.

I would pull it and try cleaning the soot out of it first. If it is sticky, even a little bit, replace it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok sir I will replace tomrorow
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Let me know the result.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I get location of egr please last 6 vin 332546 paccar mx13 epa10
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

On the passenger side of the engine, you will see a long pipe. Just under that is a smaller pipe that goes to a square box valve. That is the EGR.

CLICK HERE and go to the bottom, last page. You will see the breakdown of the engine showing the EGR valve location.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is a diffrent engine then the one I have engine sreial number is *****
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

That is what I had come up on Paccar site. Odd...

Let me check again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've been having a lot of hard time with paccar hard truck to get info on and very different engines
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Look at this picture.

See where his hand is? That is the EGR cooler. Then you have that brass looking pipe going to the left to that box, that is the EGR. That box is what needs to be checked. That is the EGR valve.

When doing this repair, you will need a computer to program the EGR and you will need to send toe cooler out to be cleaned at a radiator shop. It will need to be checked for cracks as well because a crack is what makes the EGR go bad from the coolant getting into it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here looks diffrent
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

It doesn't look different. Same engine, jsut different size.

See the pic I attached. I just marked the EGR on your engine.

If you are not that familiar with this engine, I highly suggest getting a workshop manual from Paccar for this engine before tackling the job to learn where the components are and to know the torques specs. You will need it if you never tackled a repair like this. Just a suggestion.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea I hve the maunel but it's for a. Epa13 not a 10 and I've worked on nothing but Detroit but need to do these jobs on this paccar engine I got a contact with this customer and all his fleet is paccar engines
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

They are very similar to Cummins engines, if that helps. They just have some really weird torques and adjustments. Some are metric, some are standard. I don;t like them because of that.

The EGR valve will be somewhat simple. Pull the air filter to get it from the top so you don;t have to mess with the turbo to get room. Now if you are a big guy like I am, you may not have a choice, but some of the Peterbilt trucks you can access from the doghouse. Not all.

Drain the coolant, remove the lines, undo that brass pip clamps on both sides just enought to be loose on the right and enough to separate on the left. Then pull the 6 bolts holding the valve on and hit it with a hammer to break the metal seal (Paccar will use a sticky sealer to hold the seal in place at the plant) and the EGR valve should be free.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok great thanks ! And yea lucky I am a small guy I can get in tight spaces lol.. Ok so does the egr really have to be program or calibrated ?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Sometimes on these engines, yes. You have to do the counts calibration like you would on the Detroit engines. Most times I install the EGR, reset the codes, run a regen and the calibration is done with the learn from doing the regen. There are those random times I have to do a rest on the counts to get the codes to clear out. If your tool can do that, then you are good to go. It doesn;t need programming ability or anything. Same read/write level as a level 1 for regen will activate the counts reset.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
understood i took it off and it was stuck i banged it and its loose now the price on this thing is $2500 plus core i have to wait to confirm with customer . also the Shaft has play forward and backward is that normal?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

If it is the forward and backward like I'm thinking, no. There shouldn't be play.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
like pushing it ! not side to side it seems like the erg valve separates from the actuator do they sell it sepreratly
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

It separates, but they don't always sell it separate. That's where Paccar puts the hurting to people.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
great my customer almost had a heart attack with the price ! keep you posted
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Ask Paccar for just he EGR side and for a brekadown to be sent to you with part numbers/pricing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok sir will do
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Have a great night!

Let me know the result!