Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My 3412 cat marine 720 hp when start cold engine knock on

Customer Question

my 3412 cat marine 720 hp when start cold engine knock on going and off going to jamaica safe to go
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.

Hi Stanley, My name is***** will be glad to help. Is the engine smoking and if so what color smoke? Is it running rough like a misfiring injector or runs ok but a steady knock from idle to high RPM?

Does the knock go away once at operating temperature? Is it only at cold startup? I recommend servicing the engine and cutting open the old filter to inspect for signs of metal/bearing material indicating internal problems. Squeeze the excess oil out in a vise for better viewing of the sample. Also check the bottom of the oil pan and drain oil for the same and for signs of coolant, etc. If any are found do not make the trip or you will be stuck as those are all signs of a failure occurring.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Please remember to take the time to rate my service as that is how the experts get credit for their time helping on the site.