roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

I have a 2005 detroit 14 lts S60, the problem is a lot of

Customer Question

I have a 2005 detroit 14 lts S60 , the problem is a lot of white smoke when I start it until the air pressure reaches 50-60 psi. These parts have been replaced: injectors, check valve at the back of the head, egr valve, air valve that controls turbocharger, ecm, the engine wad fix, and the head was check. The problem is only when theres no enough air.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I also check air lines, and according to the owner the ecm was also updated.
JA: Our top Heavy Equipment Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Heavy Equipment Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Heavy Equipment Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

is there excess pressure in the cooling system??? did you check the egr cooler for any presence of coolant???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Theres no excess pressure and the egr is ok.

how did you check the egr cooler???

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was checked. I took it to another shop and they made pressure test (before the engine work)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It only fail when air pressure is low, when air pressure reaches 50-60 psi theres no more smoke and everything works fine

ok, assuming that it is ok, the other thing I have found is a bad air compressor. I would bypass the compressor hoses and see if it still happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are thinking that the smoke is coolant, but it looks like diesel

white smoke is coolant, not fuel, fuel is black. yes, I think it is coolant

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im leaving now, maybe we can continue later. Thank you.

ok

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im on my way to home, and there is one question on my mind all the time. Why this problem happens only when the air pressure is low. There are no problems when pressure goes up there's no smoke and everything works fine, Why? If the problem is coolant, the engine should fail at all the time not only when air pressure is low. I'm still busy and I do not have enough time to talk but I really appreciate any message from you.
Thanks again.

the engine will not fail if it is coolant. it may be a small amount that is laying in the top of the air compressor head. it just may take time to burn off the coolant. if I am right, it will not stay the same and will get worse very soon

Roy