Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I had asked in pulling codes on this 2007 mitsubishi fuso fm

Customer Question

hello,I had asked for help in pulling codes on this 2007 mitsubishi fuso fm series truck,I now
think the check engine( ***** *****ght )that is on now is for the e.g.r system,I found no codes
stored when disconnecting the diagnostic wire in glove box,i dont have a mitsu scanner for
access to engine computer.
Can you tell me if this amber check engine light is for the egr system and how would i proceed to repair
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi Robert, My name is***** this link for the flash code information. Some of the newer trucks unfortunately need the scan tool connected to access the fault codes. Is there a reason why you do not want to plug in a scan tool or have it scanned? click below and let me know. If you cant get flash codes, the scan tool is your only option.

Fault code retrieval

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please let me rephrase my question,this truck has multiple check engine lights,this
amber check engine light is not the light that displays when retrieving flash codes.I
suspect this light to be and egr check engine light.Are we on the same page ???

Hi Robert, I understand your question and am an experienced technician. The chassis modules on the newer trucks need the OEM diagnostic software connected but in some cases generic scanners can read and cross some of the code information. The fact that the light is on means there is a code logged and without plugging it in no one can tell you the code or the actual part of the system has the fault. Does this truck have an aftertreatment system on it and if so have you tried a regen and will it complete a regen without kicking it out with a fault?

System compatible with Multi-Use Tester-

III

II

1.1Connecting Multi-Use Tester-

III

Special tools

SystemReference Gr Multi-Use Tester to be usedCommon rail13EMulti-Use Tester-

III

onlyExhaust gas recirculation17 Automatic transmission23Pre-heater54SystemReference Gr Relevant electronic control unit Anti-lock Brake System35EMulti-Use Tester-

II

or Multi-Use Tester-

III

MarkTool name and shapePart No.ApplicationPCFMS-E04-1(Multi-Use Tester-

III

ver-sion)Data transmission to/from V.C.I.V.C.I.MH062927Data transmission between electronic control unit and PCMulti-Use Tester-

III

Test Harness B (used for communication)MH062929Power supply to V.C.I. and communi-cation with electronic control unitMulti-Use Tester -

III

Test Harness D (used for extension)MH062951Multi-Use Tester-

III

test harness B extension

DIAGNOSIS CODES

This was right from the service book. Was before the chart info I just posted.

Connecting Multi-Use Tester

The type of Multi-Use Tester to be used varies depending on which system is being inspected. Select and connect the correct type of Multi-Use Tester to the system being inspected by referring to the following tables

2.Accessing / Erasing Diagnosis Codes <Common Rail, Exhaust Gas Recircula-tion, Pre-heater>

2.1Diagnosis codes

There are two types of diagnosis codes: present codes and past codes.

(1)Present diagnosis codes•

When an error occurs after the starter switch has been turned on (when electronic control unit being energized),the relevant diagnosis code is generated and stored in electronic control unit. This is a present diagnosis code.

(2)Past diagnosis codes•

A present diagnosis code becomes a past diagnosis code and is stored in electronic control unit when it is reset,or when the starter switch is turned OFF and then ON.

2.2Accessing and erasing diagnosis codes

Diagnosis codes can be accessed or erased either by using Multi-Use Tester-

III

, or by using vehicle functionswithout using Multi-Use Tester-

III

.

Removing/installing the dedicated fuses will turn the diagnosis and memory clear switches ON/OFF.

NOTE

•Be sure to restore the fuse to the original location after accessing and/or erasing diagnosis codes.(1)Accessing/erasing diagnosis codes using Multi-Use Tester (1.1)Present diagnosis codes•

Turn the starter switch ON.

With the memory clear switch in the fuse box closed and using Multi-Use Tester, access present diagnosis codesand, if they exist, identify the faults.

(1.2)Past diagnosis codes•

Turn the starter switch ON.

Using Multi-Use Tester, access past diagnosis codes and, if they exist, identify the faults.

(1.3)Erasing diagnosis codes•

Turn the starter switch ON.

Using Multi-Use Tester, erase diagnosis codes that may have been stored in electronic control unit

(2)Accessing/erasing diagnosis codes without using Multi-Use Tester •

Using the diagnosis and memory clear switches, display diagnosis codes that may have been stored in electronic control unit.

Here is the connector diagram

2.1)Reading diagnosis codes•

To read a diagnosis code, observe how may times the warning lamp flashes and how long each illumination lasts.

The duration of illumination differs between the first and second digits.

Second digit: 1.2 sec.

First digit: 0.4 sec.

A diagnosis code consists of the flashing of second digit and the flashing of first digit in that order. If a diagnosis code has “0” in the second digit, only the first digit will be displayed.

The same diagnosis code will be displayed 3 times in a row be-fore moving to the display of the next code.

After the last diagnosis code is displayed, the first code will be displayed again 3 times in a row and then the subsequent codes. This will be repeated.

When the diagnosis switch is connected, electronic control unit will immediately stop (terminate) displaying diagnosis codes.

2.2)Present diagnosis codes•

Turn the starter switch ON.

Remove the diagnosis switch.

Diagnosis codes will be displayed (flashing of the warning lamp).

(2.3)Present and past diagnosis codes•

After present diagnosis codes are displayed, (with the diagnosis switch still removed) remove the memory clear switch.

This will cause the warning lamp to start flashing again to indi-cate present and past diagnosis codes. Observe the codes that will be displayed, and identify the faults.

(2.4)Erasing diagnosis codes•

All diagnosis codes stored in electronic control unit can be erased by removing the memory clear switch and then installing it again.

NOTE

•Be careful not to erase diagnosis codes by mistake. They can easily be erased simply by operating the memory clear switch only.•If you do not wish to erase diagnosis codes after they have been displayed, turn the starter switch OFF with the memory clear switch still removed, and then connect the memory clear switch.

Let me know what you get for codes using this procedure right from the manual.