Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Help, Spindle replacement on 98 fld, No,

Customer Question

Help
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Spindle replacement on 98 fld
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $49 after the Heavy Equipment Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What do you need for information? You are replacing the spindle and king pin assembly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just the spindle
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I replace the spindle without a kingpin press

The king pin has to be removed to remove the spindle. It is the pin an the bushings that the spindle pivots on

You need to remove the front wheel, the hub, retaining nuts, bearings, brake assembly, etc. Then the king pin retainers. Depending if yours is a tapered pin or straight , sometimes you can press them out with a 20 ton jack or drive them out with a sledge hammer. I have cut them out carefully with a torch before. You are installing new bushings and pin. Sometimes they are loose enough to drive out easy