Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Losing coolant in a 5.9 cummins in a cih 2144 combine with

Customer Question

Losing coolant in a 5.9 cummins in a cih 2144 combine with only 1800 engine hours. No visible leaks. 1-2 qrts every 4 or 5 days. Engine oil has not been overfull but am suspicious of black sludginess look of oil and discharge on ground after sitting overnite even ater fresh oilchange . Never did it in 2014 but started in fall of 2015. Pretty concerned about it. Wish I had a 2166 or 2366 with the 8.3 running at 2250 rpm instead of this at 2800 rpm. Too fast short life engine looks too me like .
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Remove the oil filler cap and look for moisture , which will show as a gray gunk om the underside of oil cap. If there is coolant in the oil , that is where it will show first. Or have an oil sample ran. If coolant in oil, cylinder head or gasket is first place to look. If there is oil in radiator, then you could have a bad oil cooler, but oil pressure is higher that water pressure, so oil would show in coolat, not coolant in oil from cooler failure. Has engine ever been hot?

Look at water pump area for any evidence of coolant stain or leak, when engine is cold. Many times that is when external leak will be noted.

see my response shows as customer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Did you find the problem?