spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I'm an independent and I'm in a situation where two unknown

Customer Question

I'm an independent and I'm in a situation where two unknown symbols flashed on the dash accompanied by a constant beeping and I'm dead on the road.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: One looks like a circular arrow x'd out and the other is I'm guessing a coolant reservoir symbol. If I let it sit off for a bit, they won't come back and it starts up fine. Is it safe to drive?
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It's been driving rough ever since I got it back from service and they informed me my fuel lines out of the engine are leaking slightly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Heavy Truck Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 2009 GMC W4500 cabover
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It will drive a short distance and then the problem returns and shut the engine down. I think it's a faulty coolant sensor. I read something somewhere about someone bypassing a faulty sensor using a paperclip. Is this possible?
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for delay

Try disconnecting coolant sensor, the light will stay on but should keep engine from shutting down.

What that does is change the code from low coolant level to no signal from coolant level bypassing shutdown system.

Make sure to keep a eye on engine temp otherwise yes its safe to drive as long as you don't overheat engine.

Make sure coolant level is okay and not low.

Also make sure to have that setting in ecm changed next time you are in a shop from shutting engine down to just a warning light so this does not happen again.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you or the
website does not credit me for my time..

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky