Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 2011 pro star international wit a maxforce engine

Customer Question

I have a 2011 pro star international wit a maxforce engine that the front main seal is leaking
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The front main was leaking so I replaced it and the new one I put in leaked worse so I replaced it again and this time I silicone it. now it doesn't leak bad but the inside of the gasket the part that rides on the crankshaft on the bottom has a small leak
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi, It's Dan. thanks for the request. Are you referring to the wear ring that is installed on the crankshaft? could you get me the complete model and serial number of the engine and could you tell me some more details on the procedure and tooling used to install the seal? there is a front and rear main seal installation tool. Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
BN335062 Sn.. 9200 road truck model... I am talking about the front main and I used this press tool.. But the crankshaft also has a little play when you pull it to you but if you press it in it doesn't. Also could be a coincidence But the oil pressure at a ideal is running about 80 till it starts leaking then drops to 60 and if you rev it up it gets near 100

Thanks for the update. Maxxforce 9, 10, 11?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10

If the crankshaft seems to have too much radial or end play it will be a good idea to get a dial indicator on it and see if possibly it is bent, worn out of spec journals or bearings and thrust washers ( Remove pan/visual inspection). If the crank runout does not reveal a bent crank it may be possible a bearing roll in will cure your problem if the bearings are excessively worn on inspection. If they are OK then inspect the crank for imperfections that would interfere with the wear ring sealing on the shaft properly. I use a thin coating of green loctite/ bearing mount for the wear ring.

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?