Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have 95 international 9400 just replaced the engine.

Customer Question

I have 95 international 9400 just replaced the engine. Replace with 2000 series 60 it had series 60 to begin with. The donor engine was out of a wreck and the front cover had damage. I used the front cover from the 95, I have done this before as an experienced Detroit mechanic. Now after its together it will crank and not start. It will run with either and WD. Gauges on dash cycle with engine lights and turn off after 5 seconds. I have put it on my computer which is the latest version of Detroit software. I have had three different ecm on it, replaced fuel pump, srs, trs. Checked wiring I have all the wire diagrams didn't find anything suspicious. The only thing is during the front cover swap the donor engine had some slight damage to the pulse wheel on the crank I used a file to clean up the burs, didn't removed any of the top surface gust on the sides. I think it was damage from the wreck. I was told it was still running and the driver turned it off. I hate the thought of removing the front cover and changing the pulse wheel. I'm not getting any codes. Do you know how sensitive the sensor would be to some slight damages to the pulse wheel. I would think it should still start. Not that this is true but for argument would it run missing one tooth.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi Matt. My name is***** will be glad to help. If the ECM is good and powering, fuel system checks good and no air and restrictions then Most likely it is the SRS and TRS sensors not picking up signal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did check the resistance ohms. But as I said I'm not getting any codes. The pulse wheel had slight damage but no missing teeth. If I remember it look like the bull gear got into it and scared the top of the teeth. I replaced the gear train and the bull gear out of the other motor. When I changed this I thought it would be to my best interest to change both front and rear covers. The only thing that I haven't checked is the gap or if in fact it's sending a signal this I will check. Do you think that the pulse wheel being damaged could cause no start. I think it was like only two or three teeth that had small groves the rest were fine. My phone number is(###) ###-####thanks Matt

Hi Matt, Yes i do believe the damage can cause a loss of signal. I would definitely verify you have speed signal to the ECM. Phone calls are available at an additional service if you would like to ad a call or we can post back and forth here as needed. I will send of the Premium service offer in case.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do have engine speed when cranking. This shows up on the computer. The rpm gauge works in the truck. Everything looks good. I can feed it starting fluid and run it all day. Oh yeah and injected response times are receiving

Hi Matt, Did you try to share some pictures? if so they did not post for some reason. So it will start on ether and then run for the rest of the day with no troubles or you have to use ether each time you start it warm or cold?

Ether makes the engine cranking speed faster and therefore engine speed signal changes so if the batteries and starting system is good and not cranking slow and the ECM does not have low voltage during cranking then it could definitely be the damaged tone wheel. Check ECM voltage cranking.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will only run on starting fluid. After you stop ether it stops.

If your fuel supply pressure is good, the return restrictive 90 degree fitting at the back of the head is there and ok, no leaks or sucking air, If there is no smoke while cranking it means the ECM is not enabling fuel to the injectors. since you tried many ECMs with no luck, I would lean more towards TRS and SRS signal and sensor alignment with the gear as well as fixing the damage to the tone wheel.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you think about the pulse wheel being moved during the accident.

Hi Matt, That is where I was going actually. I was saying tone wheel. It sounds like the sensor is not picking up signal so check for an alignment issue or gap issue between the tone/pulse wheel and for potential further unforeseen damage from the accident that would cause an erratic signal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry for my absence. Ok then if the pulse wheel had moved would this cause no start.
Or the injectors not to fire. Please think about this because if it will not run at all then I will remove the front cover
And check the pulse wheel.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

It definitely would if the sensor is not picking up the correct signal. The ECM wont fire the injectors.