Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Aj... 2000 freight liner 8.3 isc hard engine miss like it

Customer Question

Aj... 2000 freight liner 8.3 isc hard engine miss like it completely shuts off for a second then come rite back
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It does it usually under a load once per trip and runs fine followed by a engine light that goes away when the key is cycled
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the complete engine model and serial number from the ID tag? Also what fault codes do you have logged in the ECM?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ISC(###) ###-####I do not have an thing to read the codes
And the check engine light goes away after the key is turned off so I can't check the code through engine check switch. The miss seems to only happen once per trip

What model chassis Freight liner is this? Try Key on, cruise off, hold set resume switch until the check engine light flashes. Count the flashes for the 3 digit code with short pauses in between each digit an a longer pause between codes. Let me know what you get for codes. some trucks have a diagnostic switch instead. Let me know your chassis info and I will help you on pulling codes if the above procedure doesnt work

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2000 fl 70
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes are coming up . It does have a engine check switch and I tried it your way no codes.

Try this.Key off... press diagnostic switch and hold down........ turn keyswitch on (not crank) position. then release the diagnostic switch. If the check engine light flashes, count the flashes for the codes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes that way either
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am driving it right now and the light is on but as soon as I turn the key off the diagnostic light goes out and does not come back on until the next time I Drive it it will come on randomly

If the light is on it means codes are logged. If you can not get them through the display You will need to have a scan tool plugged in to get the codes. Do you know anyone that can scan this for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does it have to be a freightliner scanner or can it be a regular vehicle one

For engine fault codes you can use Cummins Insite or a generic scanner for Med/Heavy truck engines.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I haven't found anyone to read the codes yet. And don't know what else to do about it. I am calling my friend That works at a dodge dealership tomorrow I will keep you posted if thats ok

To Read engine codes on the Freightliner Chassis:
(The code must be active. i.e. Still showing as a Check Engine or other fault)

1. Shut the engine off.
2. Hold the Engine Check switch down. Located down by the steering column.
3. Turn the ignition key to on.
Both the Check Engine (yellow) and the Stop Engine (red) will come on
momentary. If no fault is active, both lights will come on and stay on.
4. The Fault Code will flash in the following sequence.
First, the Check Engine (Yellow) lamp will flash. Then the Stop Engine light will
flash the error number's in sequence. There will be a short one or two second
pause between each number. When the number has finished flashing, (in red), a
yellow light will appear again. The three digit code will repeat twice in the same
sequence.

The lights flash each fault code out two times before advancing to the next code.
To skip to the next fault code sooner, or back to the previous code, touch the
switch labeled Idle Increase/Decrease . This is a center off rocker switch located
next to the Engine Check switch. If only one fault is active, the same fault will
flash again.