Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

2001 Fuso FE series with 4Cyl Diesel; this vehicle was

Customer Question

Hi folks,
2001 Fuso FE series with 4Cyl Diesel;
this vehicle was brought in due to severe missing on accelleration and at higher revs. The truck starts fine cold or hot. Also see white smoke when at hi RPM.
We noticed that there was some water and some debris in the fuel filter, so we installed a new one. The vehicle ran perfectly, but only for about 30 minutes, after which the symtoms returned.
Ideas?
Mark Currie
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Water and debris in the fuel tank, and has already plugged the new filter. Or check the line from the tank to the filter,where it is restricting the flow to the filter. You can bet it is starving for fuel!

Hand primer is doing exactly as it should.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we just ran a fuel line direct from the pump to a container of fuel, thereby eliminating fuel line, filter, and tank issues. The same problem occurred.
I have noticed that there are three sensors or controls on the injection pump; if one is disconnected, the engine shuts off. If the other two are disconnected, nothing changes at all...Mark

Did you check the fitting in the pump where the hose attached?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure what to check on the fitting; it is not loose. Just connected an electric fuel pump, just to emulate the suction valve; same issue...The real puzzler is how it could have 'fixed' itself for half an hour, then returned again...

Any debris from tank would collect in the first fitting it comes too. And all the symptoms show as fule stravation. Where did you attach the electric pump? Direct to the injection pump?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
direct to the injection pump. We tried it with the electric pump and it had the same symptoms; missing badly at high revs. Then, he disconnected one of the sensors (on the inj. pump), and tried it again. Suddenly, the truck ran perfectly. So he shut the truck off, and reattached the sensor plug on the pump. Then he fired it up, and it ran perfectly again. (Still running it on the fuel pump). Next, he removed the electric fuel pump, and the engine is running perfectly! (But we have done nothing in terms of repairs....)

!! Ok,let me opt out. I don't know about the sensors, maybe someone else can help. Sorry,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the try Curtis; although if a Fuso tech can't help, I am a little at a loss as to whom to go to. :)Question; how does one recover Fault Codes on this model? It has an OBD2 plug, but only two leads going to it. Do I short the 'Diagnostic" lead to ground, to recover flash codes?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When this was acting up, did you get a check engine light?

Since doconnecting the sensors and reconnecting, has the issue returned? I'm wondering if you had a short in one ofbthe comnections.

To answer the question you just put on herr whil i was typing, you can't do codes the old way by activating the flashes on the dash. You have to use the diagnostic scan tool since 1997 on thwse trucks. US EPA is who changed that for vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jeremy,we got a check engine light that flashed on momentarily while the driver was driving, and then it went back off. (The light is orange and is a dotted circle with an exclamation mark in the center.) There is an OBD2 plug, but it has two wires only. one is labelled "Diagnostic". When we disconnect that one, the CEL flashes about once per second, continuously.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not getting a read with my scan tool...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have sent the owner out for a road test to see what happens; it is running good now. However the truck came back today, due to a repeat problem; we changed the fuel filter, (which contained water and some dirt) and this seemingly solved the problem on Saturday. But the issue returned after 30 minutes of driving. The issue is exactly the same as last go round.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

Ignore that. I'm thinking of the Isuzu...

These should still get the flash codes. I work on so many of therse I get the 2 backwards.

CLICK HERE

Disconnect the diagnostic switch and the flash codes should appear.

On the single digit flash, there is no code 1.

Now with the tester you have a code 1 for the fuel temp sensor, which is one of the sensors on the fuel pump. you also have the spill valve and timer control valve. It will be included in the link I am providing for how to test them. That code you have could be a 11 for the fuel temp sensor. If it is not reading right, it will cause these exact symptoms you are having for the reading needs to com from that sensor for the injection timing. The other sensors on here can cause it as well.

CLICK HERE for the code list and the fuel info I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
K, will give this a shot, and let you know. BTW the first link in your response just goes to the AllData website. Did you intend there to be two live links in your note?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By "disconnect the diagnostic switch" I assume that you mean, "disconnect the diagnostic lead"??. because that is when we get a continuous, one second, single flash.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just checked the manual you furnished; a single flash means "normal, no fault" so we are good as far as codes is concerned. Which makes sense, as we do not have a check engine light remaining on, at this time...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jeremy, we tried to recover codes by removing the fuse for the "diagnostic switch" per the manual you sent. However the fuses in this truck do not match the fuse diagram shown in the manual. None of the fuses in this truck are labelled "Diagnostic Switch), and the one I disconnected, did not initiate engine flash codes, even though it is in the correct position in the fuse box, based on the manual.This unit is a 2001 Fuso FE-SP...
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

There shouldn't have been a second link... Something got mixed in there for some reason for I don't use Alldata on the web.

Yes, when you disconnect the lead.

No codes means no electrical codes present.

No check engine light means no codes as well so you are good there.

I would check those sensors if the issue comes back othat are on the fuel pump. Most likely one has a short and is acting up.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

What I provided is for the 2001 FE.

There are a total of 4 parts to that section of the manual online. I will load all 4 parts. 2 show for 2001, 1 for 1999, and one is the general.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Jeremy, I will see what we can do at this point. The last downloads contained one that is specifically for 2001 and it appears correct for this unit.The customer is now driving the truck (since it has fixed itself, ha ha !) But when he comes back, I will check for further codes.All the best,MarkI appreciate your help!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

You'e welcome.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.