][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

What does the egr valve do 4352302nx

Customer Question

what does the egr valve do(###) ###-####x
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I can hep you today! The EGR Valve is the Exhaust Recirculation Valve. Takes exhaust gas coming out of your exhaust manifold and blends it with the fresh air in your intake to re-burn. This is how Cummins achieves their Emissions limits with EPA. Let me know if you require any other questions. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does it have anything to do with coolant leak?

Where are you experiencing the coolant leak? is the truck burning the coolant? Is it getting into your intake?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did allot of pressure tests shows no were leaking. Changed egr valve still losing coolant.

Most Cummins EGR valves are Cooled by Water but very rarely fail for an internal coolant leak, doesn't mean its not possible. The most realistic reason why your coolant would be leaking in the EGR system would be the EGR Cooler which is located right after the EGR Valve. The EGR Valve is connected to a long square housing called the Exhaust Gas Cooler. Cummins EGR Coolers are known for leaking internally because they cool the Gas with Coolant. Best thing to do is to disconnect the EGR Valve, check if the Coolant is inside the Valve. If the leak is after the Valve then check the outlet of the EGR cooler which goes around the back of the motor towards the Driver's side. If it is wet inside the EGR hose travelling to the intake then its definitely the Cooler. The reason why it might not be obvious when pressure testing is it is only leaking when the cooler gets to a certain temperature. Once it cools the crack will seal enough to stop it from leaking.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you give me the part numbers of the foregoing possibilities

I would need your engine serial number please!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cummins serial 79491399

If you have never replaced this cooler then it has been updated several times since your unit was built. Cooler P/N-(###) ###-####X. Gaskets on each end are(###) ###-#### Clamps on each end if necessary(###) ###-#### I hope this has been of some help to you today. Please don't forget to rate your question! Have a good day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
P/N-(###) ###-####X is only gasket kit is that all I might need
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I need the egr cooler itself if so whats the part #?

I'm sorry about that, Try(###) ###-#### Should work for you!

Hello Sir, I wanted to follow up to see how you are making out with your coolant leak?I hope the part numbers and diagnosis advise has been of help to your situation. Please let me know how its going and whether there is anything else I can do to help. Otherwise I would of course appreciate a rating for my services. Have a good day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I need the egr cooler and and gasket kits

You need to open up the EGR system after the Cooler to see whether there is physically coolant inside the system. Don't just buy the cooler its probrably a $ 2500 part and a 10 hour job to replace it. Be sure there is coolant in the system after the cooler first. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any theory of scientific degree, on why, I lose like one gallon and half of coolant almost instantly after filling ([withing 100 miles] but thereafter I don't lose anymore coolant even if I drive 2000 miles.

Hi Sir, No I'm not entirely sure besides the fact that if there was an air bubble in the system from coolant loss that it could be releasing the bubble on start up, which will make the level go down. Besides that if there are no external leaks I would recommend checking the EGR pipe on the driver's side of the engine to see if there is coolant, or Wet inside the pipe. It's important to check this because excessive driving with coolant getting into the EGR system could cause further issues like plugged sensors, and even internal engine damage from burning the coolant.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In order to check this out has does it have to be taken off

No Sir, not at all, much easier than that. On the Driver's side of the engine there should be a 2-3 inch pipe that comes from that EGR cooler and goes back into the air intake manifold. You can unhook the soft line that hooks to the intake manifold and inspect inside the pipe from there to see if it looks wet. It should be dry as a bone with a little but of soot power if you run your finger inside. Any sort of resin or Wet inside there is going to be coolant.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe the egr cooler is on passenger side on my truck so should this pipe still be on drivers side?

Yes, your right that he cooler is on the passenger side of the unit. The pipe that delivers the Exhaust gas from the cooler to the intake manifold comes around to the driver's side. You an check it directly at the outlet of the EGR cooler, or on the Driver's side where it connects to the intake manifold. If the cooler is leaking it will be wet inside both locations. Will be easier and faster to unhook from the driver's side.