Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Here in Orlando, Have an 06 C7 Cat. as of late it has a hard

Customer Question

here in Orlando, Have an 06 C7 Cat. as of late it has a hard start, sounds as if its loosing its prime, starts and shuts off. I lugged in the block heater last week as we ad a few cold nights and the truck now starts with No Problems ! if I don't plug in hard start. does the viscosity in the HEUI PUMP seem to be the failure here ? no codes whatsoever hints of oil in coolant. 220k orig miles and owner 5k mile oil change since new Delo
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just provided all the info above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

When the engine starts, then shuts down. Correct? Does it run a little rough and maybe smoke for a minute then clears up? Or does it restart and not run rough at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I don't plug in heater then Yes rough idle for 20/30 seconds with a puff of smoke and a hint of diesel fuel smell
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

It definetely sounds like the fuel is leaking down overnight. I've seen this many times on the C7 engine. It a common problem.

There are two things that will cause this.

The first and most common is a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head. I would replace it first. When the engine is off its suppose to hold fuel in the head.

Second is a faulty fuel pump. If replacing the regulator does not help. I would replace the pump. 9 out of 10 times the problem is the regulator.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.