Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Have a 2005 Freightliner with Eaton Ultrashift

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Freightliner with Eaton Ultrashift RTO-16910B-DM2 that keeps getting stuck in 9th gear (F9 flashes). I have no active or inactive codes. if I reset transmission according to manual, it works fine for a while & then happens again. Any suggestions?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: It seems to only happen with a load of grain on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Bare with me while i gather some information for you to help you troubleshoot this

Click on this link and use this procedure and let me know what fault codes you get.

Fault code retrieval

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already did that, got #25 (no code) for both the active & inactive codes.

What model chassis Freightliner?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vehicle ID#1FVJA6DE75LU69042 Model CL120064S Base Model CL120
Is that what you need? Not sure how to determine chassis model.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Engine# ***** Trans# *****
If you need that also.

Click on this link and review PDF pages 16-25 and let me know what you get for faults from your dash panel using the procedure in this manual. Let me know what you get for codes from the dash

Manual

Manual

the links dont seem to be posting. Copy and paste this in your browser if you have to.

http://www.selectruckhouston.com/pdf/New_Folder3/columbia-driver's-manual.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When key is on, 2_0.9 comes on then switches to mileage. Doesn't seem to be any abnormal lights. When I cycle the Mode button, Diag 00 shows up. Doesn't seem to show an actual fault detected as per that link.

In the manual it says to press an hold the mode button for 3 seconds to select a screen and just pressing the mode button will scroll through. hold the button at Diag and it should bring you to a new screen

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I hold button nothing happens, it just stays on Diag 00.

Ok thanks for that. I just wanted to see if there were any other codes logged in the Engine ECM etc. It sounds like it might be mechanical with your transmission. Drain the oil in a clean container and look for metal/debris and anything that looks like grey sludge antiseize that would indicate internal problems. This can be caused by a faulty XY shifter or internal wear in the clutching collars which is unlikely for sticking in gear but check inside your filter if you have an external filter kit as well. Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did forget to mention we had a new inertia brake put on a few months ago. And had fresh filters & oil put in when the mechanic changed that out. Could it possibly have anything to do with that? When we asked the mechanic, he said it shouldn't .

What engine make/model?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Caterpillar C13 Engine #KCB25001 (from manual)

it could be possible something from the brake may be affecting this... Click on this link and run through the test procedures covered starting on PDF page 162

Troubleshooting