roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

I have a Detroit 60 series 12.7 with 417,000 on overhaul.

Customer Question

I have a Detroit 60 series 12.7 with 417,000 on overhaul. I'm noticing a few drops of oil (puddle the size of a silver dollar) every morning under breather in front of oil filters. Should this cause concern?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

any oil leak is a concern. are you sure where it is coming from??? if not, clean the area with brake kleen and then check for the source.

there is the oil filters, oil switch and the oil cooler itself there as well. are all those areas dry???

can you post a picture of the leak???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did clean it and then reinspected it and it appears to be oil is dripping from breather and while in transit spraying on the bottom of oil filters. I have added pic.

nice picture. does the breather have an electrical connector at the top??

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I followed the vent all the way to the top of the motor and there in no electrical connector.

ok I will attach a picture of it. there is a replaceable filter. I would start by replacing that filter. I dont think you have an issue with the motor, just a breathing issue

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I follow the breather all the way up I don't see anything like the diagram you sent me. I have attached another pic with me pointing to where the breather ends.

ok, thats the one from the valve cover. remove the line from the cover and see if there is a screen in there. it is like a piece of steel wool.

the one I sent was for the block, sorry

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the one leaking. It's the vent that is seen in my first pic that comes all the way down to in front of the oil filters. Is that a problem to have oil dripping out this line from valve cover?

no, thats why I said to remove it and see if the filter is intact. there is a separator that is actually a piece of steel wool like material that keeps the oil there and lets out air

Roy

how are you making out

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't taking it off yet. Hopefully this afternoon.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took it off and there isn't any kind of filter or material, just an open whole. I can't find any part # ***** what this would even be called. I called a local shop and he said there isn't supposed to be anything in there. What are your thoughts?

it is part of the valve cover. I have never seen any part number for it.

like I said, we use a steel wool type of material to absorb any oil slung around under the valve cover.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it have dislodged itself and its floating around inside valve cover?

possible or someone left out when the cover was off

Roy