Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Have a 3116 engine starts runs good thn after u drive say a

Customer Question

Have a 3116 engine starts runs good thn after u drive say a quarter of a mile it starts starving for fuel looses power
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Can you get me the engine serial number please? Cat makes a mechanical 3116 and an electronic 3116. Just want to make sure I have the right one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2bk39681
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2BK39861
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

Is sounds like the engine is loses fuel supply of fuel pressure or sucking air. I have so een this many times.

If you haven't already, I would change the fuel filters. They may be clogged.

If the problem continues. I would next suspect the fuel inlet line may be sucking air. Many times the Chevy has plastic cup lines that get a small hole rubbed into the line and start sucking air.

If the fuel lines are OK. I would next check the turbo for damage or excessive shaft end play and check for a boost leak in the air piping and check for a crack in the air to air cooler. To test for cracks I like to pressurize the cooler and spray with soot water.

If the air system is OK. I must next suspect the governor is worn.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.