][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

I have a 2012 Mack CXU613 With the removable battery box

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Mack CXU613 With the removable battery box cover that has the step attached to it. I've been having problems with it falling off, when getting in or out of the cab. How can I fix this problem? Has anyone else complained about this problem? I just can't find a way to keep it on. I really need some help. Please let me know what I could do to fix this problem.
Thank you so much.
James Shappell
Schuylkill County, Pa. (###) ###-####
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 9 months ago.

Hi James, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer! I've seen this on some similar units, just not your same truck. I'm sure we can find a solution for you today. Are you able to forward a picture or two of the current box cover? You can attach the picture right here on the site for myself to view. Is it all plastic, or steel? I can imagine it must be frustrating so i'm sure we can put a solution together today for you. What application is this truck? do you have a body on it? Thank you!

Hi James, I found some information on your battery box. So it will depend on whether your battery box cover is Plastic, or aluminum. If the box is aluminum then i would recommend measuring how much clearance between the battery posts and the cover to see if you can fit a piece of ply wood in between. So cut a piece of plywood to the same dimension as the top of the box cover, especially where the box goes under the back brackets at the frame. Make sure to pay attention to where you bolt the wood to the top of the box so that the bolts don't touch the battery posts. I have had to counter sync the mounting hardware to make it fit before. This should make the box more sturdy to stop the box from flexing when you step on it. If you have aluminum you can try a smaller strip of wood along the back to shim it tighter to the back brackets. Also for either style you could try installing another battery box latch on either side of the box to have it stop from flexing or pivoting from steping on it. See the following link to for a more heavier latch than just a standard rubber battery box latch.

http://www.kipp.com/gb/en/Products/Operating-parts-standard-elements/Latches/Adjustable-latches-with-movable-hook-clamp.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be available for follow up but please don't forget to rate the question. Experts only get a portion of the proceeds if you rate the question. Otherwise, the site keeps it so please don't forget to rate, or dont hesitate to ask any other questions to ensure you are satisfied. Thank you again and goodluck on your repair!