cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

N14 running 1400 to 1500 rpms oil pressure between 20-25 is

Customer Question

N14 running 1400 to 1500 rpms oil pressure between 20-25 is this normal? At 1900 rpm it's 30/35psi
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
N14 at 1400/1500 rpm 20/25 psi 1800/1900 30/35 psi normal or not normal ??? It just had the rodes and mains done new liners and injectors we are testing it out before we buy but the oil pressure concerns us
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 9 months ago.

If the oil pressure is too low it will throw a check engine light. at 10 psi pr lower. You should put a manual gauge on the oil pressure rifel on the engine and cgeck the manual gauge VS the dash gauge. it could be a bad sensor giving you low readings. If the manual gauge is reading the same as everything else suspect a pressure issue. Such as the oil pump, a leaking cooling nozzle, a failed or stuck regulator ect.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
New oil pump rodes and mains and new liners was put in also injectors we are looking to buy this truck but the oil pressure had us concerned we didn't know if it was normal or not

Well when the oil is hot it thins out and lowers the PSI. Normally when you buy a used unit you have the seller take it to Cummins and perform a wellness check on it. There they will run it on a dyno and take all the needed readings and fill out a report and you the buyer can make a sound decision on that report and other documents the seller has. .Oil Pressure Looks low to me at 1500 and only 25 psi. check it at 1200 as i sent the spec over in th pic. That will give you a better idea also check at idle

so they stated that they overhauled the engine? and the heads/pistons were not replaced?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No they stated what I told you the truck has 9xx,xxx and some miles on it my dad says it runs and pulls good but they want 17k for this truck and I don't want to get it if it's ready to blow up even if they did all that to it because they could have done it half assed lol it doesn't smoke but he's used to the Detroit 60 series engine he's not used to this engine and the oil pressure makes him nervous

I would walk away. first off a Overhaul consists of liners,pistons, bearings , heads and injectors. It is not normal to replace the oil pump just because. Unless like I said you have the seller take it to Cummins and perform a health and wellness check on the engine while running under a load. They will check for blow by, boost pressure,oil pressures,HP output. and many other items and checks and you can get a good idea what is going on. Also have an oil sample pulled and tested to check for other potential issues within the engine. Hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate my service

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok just talked to my dad he's in the truck now on a hard pull 1500 rpm is at 22 oil pressure 1900/2000 it's at 29/30he said they put used liners in it and rods mains and 5&6 injectors
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We took our truck to sapp brothers in clear field pa they put fuel filters and oil filter on they didn't tighten his oil filter he lost all oil blew his turbo and engine they refuse to fix it this truck he is testing is a truck his company wants him to buy on payments without a truck they don't eat so I don't want him making payments on a piece of junk that's why I am getting in touch with u guys how much would all that testing cost

It depends on yourlocal company pricing. we charge 350 for the test with full report

As a technician's view it's a piece of junk not properly fixing the engine with new parts. and using old unknown used parts. And who knows how long you have until something fails, than who will stand up and take responsibility and help pay for the repair... At east with brand new parts from Cummins you have a warranty if something was to happen. but not with mix matched new/used parts. Hope this helped. Please don't forget to rate my service.

Hi just following up. Please don't forget to rate my service..

Please don't forget to rate my service.