Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 97 international with a detour 470 ,60 series...it

Customer Question

I have a 97 international with a detour 470 ,60 series...it revs up on its own once in a while...I replaced pedal with switch in cab what else could it be
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

It could be a couple different things. I suggest using the Detroit software to help in diagnosing this issue though.

1) It could be a injector failing or doing what is refereed to as "dribbling." When a injector is dribbling, the valve insid the injector doesn;t close fully causing the injector to dribble. Picutre a kid sleeping with their mouth open and dribbling drool. The injector is basically doing the same thing by letting fuel bypass every once in awhile. The only way to correct it is to replace the injector.

2) It could be a valve issue where the valve is no opening up fully to let all the gases out or the adjustment is off. Try doing a adjustment first to see if this resolves the issue.

3) It could be interference on the wires going to the pedal. There are supposed to be a certain amount of twists per inch of wire on the pedal to cut down on interference by creating a natural magnetic pulse on the wires so they are shielded. If one of the wires has been cut, it will get interference and do this.

4) It could be a loose pin on the harness. Check the harness over realy well to see if any are loose at any of the plugs.

5) It could be early signs that a ECM is starting to fail. Usually you will start getting injector failure codes when this occurs.

6) It could be aeration in the fuel caused by a small leak where the fuel is sucking in air. Check the fuel lines for any signs of a possible leak.

7) It could be the fuel return regulator check valve opening and shutting causing fuel pressure to rise to high in the block. Replace the fuel regulator.

8) It could be a mis reading on the TRS and SRS sensors. If they are misreading, then engine will rev up to compensate for the sensor drop out for th the computer thinks the truck is stalling out.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?