Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2005 international 4300 with dt466. Hard/ No start condition

Customer Question

2005 international 4300 with dt466. Hard/ No start condition with heavy white smoke. Fuel psi 70 plus and no air. High pressure oil @ 1500psi cranking according to manual gauge and laptop reads right on with desired. Have also installed Navistar tool in pump in place of regulator to achieve maximum pressure. No dtc's but I do notice exhaust back pressure fluctuates from 0 psi to over 2300 psi, but I do not believe this could be creating my problem or could it?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Try unplugging the ICP sensor to see if possibly the engine will run in default ECM settings. If not then other potential causes are Cam sensor ( Loss of speed signal to the ECM) , Sticking IPR valve, Fuel supply problems. Let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just tried unplugging icp sensor, no change. As far as cam sensor goes I still am reading approx 125 - 150 rpm on dash and laptop. Would that suggest cam sensor is working properly? As I mentioned I installed tool in pump to receive maximum psi (3500psi approx) in high pressure oil system which would rule out ipr valve, and fuel supply seems plenty full. I have clear lines installed in fuel supply system to verifiy I have no air
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can the injector driver be causing this issue ?

Thanks for the update. Yes a faulty IDM or IDM relay could cause the problem.... Will it fire off of ether?

Here is the Cam sensor test. Low cranking RPM can cause problems as well

Test

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it will fire on ether but takes a lot to get it running on its own. smoke will clear when running and just give a very slight puff of black when you snap throttle but it very low on power (can barely shift gears). I will test cam position sensor tmr however im sceptical that it is the problem. is there a way to test idm?

Most shops use a known good IDM to swap for test purposes but unfortunately this is not always an option for most people. So the ICP pressure never drops off when checked with a mechanical gauge?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no the icp pressure remains steady during cranking (on mechanical gauge). I removed all plugs from idm and test for proper power and ground, all ok. How much voltage does it supply to injectors and is there a way I can test that?

It is extremely high voltage enough to kill a person and I do not recommend playing with that.

Injector Drive Module Service Tips

IMPORTANT
Read Before Injector Drive Module Replacement or Troubleshooting

The Injector Drive Module (IDM), responds to commands from the PCM, steps up the vehicle 12V power to 115V, supplies the 115V to activate the injectors and monitors faults in the IDM and injector electrical circuits.

IDM codes can indicate a problem with the IDM and/or injector electrical circuits. IDM codes can also be set by problems elsewhere in the engine.

IDM codes are stored in one of the three tests:
• Key on engine off (KOEO).
• Continuous memory codes.
• Injector electrical buzz test.
The only way to clear IDM codes is to clear the continuous codes.

The use of an appropriate scan tool is required to properly diagnose IDM and injector related problems.

Basic Diagnostic Steps

When IDM diagnostic codes (DTC) are present follow the following steps:
1. Record all codes in the key on engine off test (KOEO) and injector electrical buzz test.
2. Record and then clear the continuous codes.
3. Run the KOEO and injector electrical buzz tests.
4. IDM codes that reappear are hard faults.
5. If no codes reappear then the fault is intermittent.
6. Troubleshoot the codes.

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi, did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I still have not got issue resolved. Had to put it aside for a few days to get caught up on other jobs. Tried a IDM off another truck and same symptoms occurred. I notice that when im cranking and have injector harness unplugged to its not fueling, I can immediately see crankcase pressure coming up around push rods. Cranking speed is roughly 125rpm which meets spec I believe but is a little slower than usual. Maybe a compression issue causing the hard start? How accurate is the relative compression test? Also, ive noticed that exhaust back pressure reads o or 3000psi plus, usually the latter. Now I know EBP is not that high, but could this cause low power when running?

If the fuel system and pressure checks good then I would start by pressurizing the high pressure rail to check for leaks in the injector o rings etc. Pressure test the cooling system for a leaking injector cup.... Also if the injector o rings test ok you could have a weak injector. Just make sure the compression in the cylinders are all in line with each other. Unless there is something dramatic like a head gasket or ring issue on one cylinder I doubt this will be your cause.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Hi, Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Already pressurized high pressure rail non leaks found. Did find a couple leaking injector cups but I believe should still start. Found a compression tester adaptor for this engine, checked three cylinders so far. Have 400 psi on number 2 and only 250 on three and four. Seems maybe I've found my isaue

Thank you for the update. Yes I believe you have. Try it with some oil in those cylinders and if it comes up it means rings/piston. If it stays about the same it will be head/head gasket

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should compression read

Your cylinders around 400 PSI are within normal expected range. When you start getting below 375, 350, etc your engine is tired. 250PSI on a couple of cylinders indicates a problem in those cylinders. Rings, valves, head gasket, etc

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please remember to rate my answers as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on the site.