Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 International 4200 with a

Customer Question

Name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 International 4200 with a VT365 engine. After driving at highway speeds for around 30 minutes, check trans light comes on and trans goes into limp mode, stays in second gear. Engine seems to have normal power other than being sluggish from a stop due to staring out in 2nd gear and staying in that gear. Reading the code from the Instrument Cluster, it displays a 1378_31A. (Have not been able to find any description for this code. It also displays Change Oil. If I let the truck sit for a awhile and everything cool down, the problem goes away, not check trans light, no code stored, and change oil message is gone. Driving it again to get things hot, brings the problem back. Another issue is a hard restart hot, with extended crank times to fire the engine. it starts very well cold, even in freezing temps without a block or oil heater. There does not seem to be any misfires, as engine accelerates smoothly and without any stutters. It has one time displayed the yellow check engine light, and at the same time it seemed to have a little loss of power, but again the only code that comes up is the 1378_31A when the problem is current. Two other codes stored are 2023_14P 150:1 (which I was able to lookup through a post on this site) and 611_14P 9:1. I bought this truck about an month ago on the cheap, (it was diagnosed to have had a worn out engine because of this issue, I think the repair shop just didn't' want to mess with it because its a vt 365) and have been shorting through various issues, repaired harness rub throughs under the hood and also replaced the alternator brush holder to get the charging system working ( broken brush) Any thoughts on what's going on?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much all of it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** try to help. Let me start by pulling up some info on your codes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Dan. Any luck on finding the code descriptions?

1378 1136

ECM ECM (internal) temperature signal out-of-range

2023_14P 150:1 Guage cluster circuit fault

611 Virtual Fuse 3 Unexpected Connection A connection has been made to an output that has no functionality assigned

sorry for the delay. I was very sick the last couple days and still not completely out of the woods.

33 1378 Change Oil Lamp

4 Change Oil Lamp

Output shorted to ground

33 1378 Change Oil Lamp

6 Change Oil Lamp

Output overheat