Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a MBE 4000 active code 248-2, needing some advice on

Customer Question

Hi,I have a MBE 4000 active code 248-2, needing some advice on diag Thanks in advance
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is roy will try to help. make sure your check engine light is coming on with the key on. If not then your ECM is not responding. Check the ECM inline fuse between the battery compartment and the ECM and the connections for any corrosion or poor connections and make sure you are getting power to your ECM with the ignition switch on. Make sure your grounds are clean and tight. Check your pins and connectors at your ECM for any loose/corroded pins. Here is a code list that should be helpful... Let me know if you need further assistance.

Roy

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/medium-and-heavy-truck/6po2z-2006-freightliner-columbia-thowin-sid-248-fmi.html#ixzz3z1vS6RTv

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Roy,I have check all power and grounds at PLD, check twisted pair from vcu to pld, all voltages above 12 volts and good and wires good from vcu to pld, all grounds tested good, the diagnostic tree really does not specify where to go after all wiring is checked
Thanks

does the check engine light come on??

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
check engine and stop engine does a bulb check

it sounds like your vcu has failed. if you have power to the vcu and no communication, chances are good that it has failed.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the only power to the vcu pin 13 can +

no, as I stated in the original post, check the fuse in the battery compartment for the module. it is an in line fuse off the battery

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I stated in my post I have checked that, I was wondering what pin in the vcu is the power

I dont have a pin out for that I will opt out for another tech to continue.

Roy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What vehicle is this in?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

CLICK HERE - I'm presuming you followed this? You have 12 volts on everything?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello,Yes I followed that exact revision, all grounds, powers and vcu to pld communication wiring check out good
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

What vehicle is this in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2005 Freightliner Classic 120
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I don't have the pin out sheet for that one.

I'm going to opt out and reach out to one that does and see if he can post it right quick.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright, leaning towards bad vcu, anyone know if the new vcu needs programmed or is it plug and play
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

It will need programming. It is the brain of the truck.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?