cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only, Other
Experience:  Repair CAT machines only
11546476

My name is ***** *****,I m working on a D5G that the left

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****,I m working on a D5G that the left track stopped moving while grading stone. It had code for the park brake switch, we replace switch, then speed sensor code came up. we replaced it. It now flashes 222 but, still track wont move.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really, machine has 5000 hours on it. Im relaying what my mechanic is telling me ,sorry.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 1 year ago.

The code 222 is for no codes logged or present.

If the motor is loading and still not moving, you should check for damage to the final drive or possibly the brake. (Normally the brake is not strong enough to hold the motors back.)

Have you checked the track for binding?

Have you checked the final drive for damage?

Does the park brake light go off when you flip the switch?

Do you have a good battery and charging system? Low voltage will prevent the ECM from working correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have not checked for damage to track or final. The brake light does go out when disengaged. The voltage is at 14 volts. My mechanic is wondering about the steering module because, the right track moves fwd and rev. fine but does nothing when trying a turn.

The design of the steering control has one sensor for forward/reverse and one sensor for left/right.

Normally, any issue would cause no steering or no drive. Other problems should log a fault code.

The only way to test the sensors is to use CAT ET program.

Can you hear the motor load the engine? (pump noise increase or engine speed decrease)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor does not load the motor, it acts as if the pump is not sending anything to motor. almost like there is no signal for pump to stroke and send pressure to drive motor.

Thanks for the reply.

Since it is not signaling the pump, it must be an electrical problem.

If the parking brake switch is turning the light off, then the ECM must be getting the signal.

The only way to proceed from this point is to connect CAT ET and see what is working or not.

No testing can be performed through the code plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information!!! We're in the process of getting an ET.

You're welcome. If I can help you further, please let me know.