Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1999 dt466, that is sometimes a steamy smoke out of

Customer Question

i have a 1999 dt466, that is sometimes a steamy smoke out of the tailpipe. and we loose a small amount of coolant )maybe a 1/2 pint a day. Has also dropped in power a little bit. it is either head gasket or a Egr Valve…I do not know if the engine has a EGR..Can anyone tell me How to diagnose my problem??? ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I loose coolant but there is nothing leaking. Does this engine even have a EGR valve?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If an EGR engine it could be the EGR cooler but in both EGR and non EGR engines it could be an injector cup leaking, cracked head or head gasket problem, cylinder liner leaking ( would have coolant in the crankcase oil). Let me know

Since yours is a 99 I believe the EGR engines did not start until 99. You will need to pressure test your cooling system to find the leaks with the injectors removed but only at a pow pressure not to cause a leak and inspect the injector cups.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have checked the oil regularly and can not find any coolant in the oil..where is the EGR valve located on my engine(DT466)?

That was a typo... EGR was 04/05 and later engines

Sorry about that....So your problem will likely be in the head or injector cups

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi, did you get this resolved?