Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I have a problem priming my fuel system. I have a detroit

Customer Question

I have a problem priming my fuel system. I have a detroit engine in a 2009 Freightliner Caxcadia.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am puping the primer pump and it does not give any resistance. We have just changed the oil in the engine and all of the fuel filters.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

If primer is not pumping, no resistance, you have a suction leak before the primer pump. With you just changing the fuel filters, look at the primary filter for leak. Suction leak has to be from primer back to the tank.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The truck was running before we replaced the fuel filters. I beleive that ther might be a particular procedure to install the filters. What do I have to look for when installing those in order to not create a leak?
At first, we manage to start the engine and event on the road with it. When we got back and left rest for about 5 minutes it would not restart. We removed all of the filters and greasedthe O rings so that they would not grip. Have not been able to reprime it since.

Did you fill the filters? I still believe you have a bad filter seal. But the engine has a fuel check valve in the primary filter assembly , to keep fuel from draining back to tank when engine is shut off. It may be stuck open. A test line from the primer , back into a fuel container will quickly show if primer is good.