Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia with a automatic i turn

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia with a automatic i turn key on and gauges sweep but truck wont turn over i jumped starter to move truck stopped it and again it is dead could it be a fuse or what Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i cleaned battery posts and grounds to frame i let air build up before shutting truck off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

If you can jump it and it starts, no it won;t be a fuse.

It can be a bad battery pulling the amps away from the other batteries or a bad alternator with a bad diode that is draining the batteries down as the truck sits.

Start at basics and check the batteries by load testing them all to see if any are bad, then check the alternator. Bench testing at the parts store will work if needed or if able to start the truck, can be done on the truck with a alternator tester.

Most likely you will find a bad battery pulling the other batteries down. A plate is most likely cracked in the battery which will give enough to power items on, but not enough amps to cranks the battery. Bad or cracked plates steal amps, but show good volts. This is why load testing is best.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The batteries aren't drained down when it sits. They show full charge. Didn't do a load test. When I jump the starter with a screwdriver it starts immediately
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

Have you checked the starter relay? Have you checked the ignition switch?

Have you checked to see if the starter is getting the signal on the solenoid and it is just a partial signal and not full due to a short in the wire?