Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I Am ***** ***** and the issue is a 2005 international 4300

Customer Question

I Am ***** ***** and the issue is a 2005 international 4300 with low power
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I came in and the vehicle wasn't running international had diagnosed the cam lobe on #6 cylinder. I replaced the cam and reassembled the engine. it starts and runs but has a lack of power. no smoke
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thanks for reaching out to me . Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? Also , do you have an engine light coming on as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last eight are 5h135425 no engine light on but international said they had codes for 1 and 6 injectors, I have replaced those no change. they did a relative compression test on it and it was bouncing around over different cylinders saying they were low so it was inconclusive. They also said that the timing was out so I removed the front cover and verified proper cam and all the marks lined up.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Ok Thanks for the info ! Is the engine back together now ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Let's try and follow this performance troubleshooter for this engine . Let me know if you need help along the way . Give me your results and I can check them against specifications for that engine .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I still have the cover and oil pan off. the valve cover is still on though. the dealer did the diagnostic tests I will see if they can give me a copy of the results of the test
initial switch on is ok
engine cranking is normal approx. 200 rpm oil pressure comes up to 35 -40 psi little bit of white/grey smoke at cold start
will get more information for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called international they said the tech didn't keep the results from the tests just his comments on the work order. I believe it to be the huei pump as the vehicle runs smooth at idle no smoke. at wot it has some response but not much and I can feel the turbo kicking in even at the lower power. there is no black smoke or white at wot which to me indicates that it is not getting fuel rather that a timing issue. the tech said there were no codes for the cam and crank being out of sync. Is there a specific set of tests for the huei pump?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes we can dead head the pump ! Using a gauge on the end of the main line leaving the pump , we can apply power and ground to the IPR valve and while cranking , the pump is forced to pump at maximum pressure . It should be able to develop over 4000 psi of pressure . You want to test this when engine is at operating temperature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will put it back together on Monday or Tuesday and get back to you. thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Ok Thanks Please do not forget to rate my service to you .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there . Just looking for an update on this .